NAS Setup with SSD and HDD Compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian1115

Cadet
Hi, I am very new to NAS and I am looking to build my first NAS system. I want to combine 2 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 or 4s in ZFS stripe (raid 0) for movie files. I also want to have 2 2TB Seagate Barracudas in mirror (raid 1) for family photos, school work and such.

If this is possible to do, will there be two seperate folders in windows explorer (1 for the SSDs and 1 for the HDDs ?).

Or will there be 1 folder with 2 sub folders in it (1 for SSDs and 1 for HDDs ?)

Thanks for any answers as I have tried to search this everywhere and have found nothing useful.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi, I am very new to NAS and I am looking to build my first NAS system. I want to combine 2 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 or 4s in ZFS stripe (raid 0) for movie files. I also want to have 2 2TB Seagate Barracudas in mirror (raid 1) for family photos, school work and such.

If this is possible to do, will there be two seperate folders in windows explorer (1 for the SSDs and 1 for the HDDs ?).

Or will there be 1 folder with 2 sub folders in it (1 for SSDs and 1 for HDDs ?)

Thanks for any answers as I have tried to search this everywhere and have found nothing useful.

depends, you can add the vdevs together into a single zpool (not recommended cause there different redundancy levels) and make it one share (network folder). But you should have them as seperate zpools, which means each would have different share(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.