BUILD NAS Hardware Suggestions Requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

katit

Contributor
The one I have is GOLD so, it also means something from what I heard. If 900w old regular PS - they say its loud. I was thinking my will be too loud, but it's OK. I wouldn't keep it next to me, but for basement it's OK.

mhumm2

Explorer
Well, I ordered the parts today. Here's the list:

Mobo: Supermicro X9SCL-F $149
CPU: Pentium G2030 dual core 2.8GHz for the 1155 socket $61
RAM: 2x Crucial 4GB DDR3 1600 Not tested by Supermicro, but recommended by Crucial as fully compatible with my mobo. $44.98 each
Case: iStarUSA 400SE (see photo) that comes with a 500W 80Plus power supply $280
HDD: I'm starting out with a single WD Red 2TB HDD $93.98

I put the prices in to see if I paid too much for anything. I think I'll be able to build a very nice albeit small NAS for under $1K. With this mobo, I can add 5 more HDD before I have to add another controller.

Question about IPMI. Can I connect a LAN cable from the main computer's unused RJ45 port to the IPMI port on the NAS and have a hard-line secured connection? Both my computer and the NAS will have static IP addresses.

Attachments

• iStar 400SE-50P.jpg
    iStar 400SE-50P.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 202
Question about IPMI. Can I connect a LAN cable from the main computer's unused RJ45 port to the IPMI port on the NAS and have a hard-line secured connection? Both my computer and the NAS will have static IP addresses.
You certainly can direct connect...but i dont think you'd have an issue with security as all it would really give you is temps, and remote management...if you're worried about network security you should step back and reevaluate EVERYTHING connected and connecting to your network lol. Wired, wireless, port vulnerabilities , if you're that concerned give security Onion a go. http://blog.securityonion.net/p/securityonion.html

mhumm2

Explorer
Thanks Darren, you're very correct, but that post was referring only to my IPMI connection. Since I'm using Kubuntu 14.04LTS as my computer OS, I think I'll have to configure another wired device interface eth1 and attach it to my second LAN port. Does this sound correct to you? I'm asking because of the Occupation listed under your Avatar.

I've been reading that I need to be careful of the IPMI port because it is more easily exploited when hacking into a network. I figure if it's a direct connection between my computer and the NAS, even getting unauthorized access to the LAN wouldn't allow unauthorized access to the IPMI port. Again, please correct me if I'm wrong or tell me if there's a more elegant way of getting the results I want. I think that's it for tonight. Right now, I'm going to take your suggestion and check out security onion. Thanks. TTYL.

Mark

Thanks Darren, you're very correct, but that post was referring only to my IPMI connection. Since I'm using Kubuntu 14.04LTS as my computer OS, I think I'll have to configure another wired device interface eth1 and attach it to my second LAN port. Does this sound correct to you? I'm asking because of the Occupation listed under your Avatar.

I've been reading that I need to be careful of the IPMI port because it is more easily exploited when hacking into a network. I figure if it's a direct connection between my computer and the NAS, even getting unauthorized access to the LAN wouldn't allow unauthorized access to the IPMI port. Again, please correct me if I'm wrong or tell me if there's a more elegant way of getting the results I want. I think that's it for tonight. Right now, I'm going to take your suggestion and check out security onion. Thanks. TTYL.

Mark
Well you have a few choices depending on your network, direct connect will work...but if you ever wanna access the IPMI when you're away you won't be able to reach it. If you have a switch that support VLANs you could VLAN the management port and then only allow you other pc nic into that VLAN + whatever other devices you may connect to it from. You could always change the default port it opens with as well, and of corse lock down or change the default username and password. Unless you have smart guests who are going to poke around your network via wifi or you have a very week password that's WEP and its your dogs name and your neighbors know that...I don't think I'd worry. All my HP iLo's (management NICs) are on a separate VLAN from the rest of the network and my guest network hasa VLAN that doesn't touch the rest of the network.

mhumm2

Explorer
I never thought of VLAN. I'll dig into the manual of my router and switch to see what I can do. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.