BUILD Nas for file storage and media streaming, suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hicks

Cadet
Hi guys I have been looking for a bit now and thought best to finally put my thoughts on here for someone to shoot me down or point out better alternatives if you can spare the time!.

Basically I have a few external drives at the moment so data backup is pretty poor and it is extremely annoying having to move these drives around so what I want is a simple low power(ish) NAS that will house up to 6 drives and act as the centralised storage system so I can access my files anywhere (photos/films/documents... general stuff :) ) I also want to take this opportunity to try and setup streaming to multiple devices in my home, I plan to have media access from 3 rooms so performance doesnt need to be amazing but it needs to be OK for a maximum of 3 streams of video/film which will be done via Raspberry Pi or laptops (if I could do this on a phone... even better!).

I must stress that cost is an issue for me at the moment and I just missed out on the cashback deal on the HP Microserver N54 which would have been £85, typical aye? Regardless its hampered my plans on a NAS and I am struggling to justify spending much more than this.

I will also try to make this clearer, its a small project and at this exact point in time I plan on having 2x3TB drives and eventually expanding storage as and when I need it, I would expect myself to have 4x3TB drives in about a year and then maybe 6x3tb in a few years after that (mild data use....). I am still trying to read up on everything so please forgive my noobness when it comes to all of this as its new to me :).

From my research so far I can see that ECC is highly recommend however this seems to weigh on the use of ZFS, if you arent using ZFS I cannot really see a huge benefit in data integrity. As I dont plan on having an overly large setup I currently plan to just run RAID 1 with UFS, I am hoping I have read this correctly and it is support as my whole plan is to have a mirror of the drive always AND have an external drive that will be periodicly connected to the NAS for storing important data I will have set-up a separate directory for this as I know a NAS isnt a backup strategy and will only allow expendable data be left on the NAS and no where else. So for me I cant see a need for Raidz1 or 2 when I have such a small amount of disks and if one fails I will just simply replace it. Am I right in thinking Raid 1 is probably best for me? Or is there an alternative like having an automatic scheduling of copying so every night it copies drive 0 to drive 1? which will avoid raid all together.... onto hardware

I have been reading up and it seems the general recommendation is the Xeon e3-1230 v2 with a supermicro board and ECC ram albeit these maybe the cremedelacreme when it comes to home servers I just cannot justify my very modest data use and performance requirement :P. So the next CPU I have looked at is the pentium range which the g2020 seems rather good in terms of cost and power usage, £50 and ECC support however I can also get the Core-i3 3220 which seems identical apart from a 3.3ghz clock and hyperthreading, how much of a tangible difference would this be? Worth the £20?.

Motherboard, I cannot find a retailer in the UK that sells the supermicro boards and since I am trying to do a build on the cheap I can currently considering using my spare ASUS p8z68-v (uses intel NIC, not realtek as I have read bad things about them!) its been a reliable motherboard and I only just moved down to Mini-Itx hence its now spare so reusing it saves me trying to flog it (win win...?), are there any other options I should consider?.

Ram, I am looking for 8GB to start with unless you guys think I need more. Any ways I have decided against ECC ram and my reasoning is that ECC ram is MUCH more expensive in England, I have searched high and low but can only find 8gb ECC ram for ~£80 where as I am ready to order 8gb non-ecc for £29.98... I cant justify it that price difference even more so if I reuse my board as it doesnt support ECC. I could get 16gb if the extra 8gb makes much of a difference though as this price is pretty good! I would have 4 dimms full though as its 4gb sticks.

Cases.... not a clue on this part, I have a Lian li A70 or an Xigmatek Elysium that I can use to "trial" it but I would like a relativel small footprint if possible however I could probably make the A70 work and buy those hotswapable 5.25" bay drives. Suggestions welcomed here :D.

PSU: Will be looking at a gold rated modular psu (if not then non modular... to save pennies) however I am not sure what wattage I should be looking for, but the lowest I can find is 360w and its a this one : Seasonic SS-360gp - £48 highly rated on jonny guru which means it should be perfect, great price as well :).

Hard drives, never had a WD drive fail me in the last 15 years and have only had a seagate die on me, my first plan was to grab the 3TB WD RED drives but I am open to suggestions here anything with good performance reliability and power usage... hard to meet the perfect drive though haha.

I think thats all the aspects required for a nas apart from the USB drive, I will buy an 8GB drive solely for this but I assume any decent brand is ok like this one:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Te...e=UTF8&qid=1376792318&sr=1-1&keywords=8gb+usb

If I have missed anything id appreciate being pointed into the right direction, like I said I am new to this and would rather do it right the first time where possible!.

Thanks for your time and apologies for the poor English and broken post, I have been rewriting things a bit while I kept researching so it may be a tad confusing.

TomWaller

Dabbler
Hi - afraid I'm quite new to the boards to so most of this I can't really comment on with any authority. One thing I will say though is I found www.scan.co.uk to have a number of Supermicro boards in stock. Seems to be one of the only options for the UK.

hicks

Cadet
Thanks Tom I honestly dont know how I missed that however after looking at scan that does seem rather a lot of money for my project. £170 for a board + £80 for ecc ram + xeon ~£180 making it a mighty £430 for the main components and £340 more expensive than my planned build :D, if I wanted a hardcore NAS I would consider it but my uses are very mild compared to everyone else and even then that xeon chip is better than my desktops 2500k, cant have my nas beating my desktop rofl.

Again thanks for the heads up regarding scan selling supermicro boards, will be on my list in about 7 - 10 years :).

TomWaller

Dabbler
No worries - I know how you feel. My original planned build was £100 for a new consumer grade board. Having spent some time on this forum though that gradually increased and now I've convinced myself that I need the ECC and server grade board etc. In all fairness though, I've been meaning to try out Supermicro kit for sometime now so at least I can tick that off my list...

Good luck with the build!

Tom.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You might want to check ebay or other places for a used i7 1366 system. Many of those with a xeon(even the slowest nahelem xeon) will support ECC and can be cheap since they are "old" technology.

I used the cheapest xeon 1366 that exists and I had smoking fast speeds on my system with ECC RAM.

Just an idea...

hicks

Cadet
Thanks cyberjock, I have had a look on ebay regarding the older gen CPUs and I have found a xeon L5520 which is uses the Nehalem architecture, 60W tdp seems very reasonable for a 2.26ghz 4core with hyperthreading http://ark.intel.com/products/40201/ I can get this chip for £45 so it seems pretty cheap but I need to find a socket 1366 motherboard and I can only see the very cheap consumer boards for sale :(. RAM seems much cheaper though so I could actually get ECC. I will continue looking at this but do you reckon that chip would be more than enough for me? I can drop that on it and spend hopefully <£60 on a motherboard is this is possible ha.

Thanks for the suggestion, it has opened another path :).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you don't plan to run video transcoding stuff in a jail any nehalem will be monster overpowered. :)

Just make sure that your CPU is compatible with the motherboard and that the board uses ECC. My gigabyte motherboard needed a BIOS update to support my xeon(which I did with my 920) and then dropped in ECC RAM(I had previously used non-ECC with the 920 CPU).

hicks

Cadet
Excellent then, I shall keep looking for a motherboard and ram to buy then however if I cannot find a suitable setup then I will have to consider just going down the core i3 route, so if you know or have the time do you have any idea on how much performance I can expect to get from that i3? Ideally for file transfers I want something that can average at 60MB/s obviously more is better but I would be happy at this being the rough aim, would the i3 manage this?.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I used an i3-530 and it was overpowered... lol.

hicks

Cadet
Still struggling to find a motherboard for socket 1366 :(, I believe I will probably go with my 1155 route and just avoid ZFS to ensure I do not have issues with data corruption due to not using ECC ram.
I know dual channel memory is generally recommended but for a NAS would you recommend me getting dual channel ram? Currently I can get an 8GB stick for £30 (I assume this is enough for UFS), would I notice a performance difference if I just use the single stick?.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The number of channels really won't matter. All you are ultimately asking your server to do is process data at a maximum of 133MB/sec(Gigabit) and that doesn't take much CPU. The quantity of RAM and ECC/non-ECC matters more than how many channels you have, RAM speeds, etc.

hicks

Cadet
Thanks cyberjock. I'll order the ram, much appreciated you lot pointing a noob in the right direction!.
Hopefully I can begin building this next week :)

Status
Not open for further replies.