LIAN LI PC-V354B

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2
Kingston - KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G
Rosewill Fortress 550w
8Gb Flash - USB 2.0
4x WD - Red 3TB
1x Samsung SSD

Here is my build as I see it. I will be using my NAS for general backup of files & computers. Also downloading media files. I occasionally will use it for streaming media at home to my Boxee, and over the internet to my iPad. I am also going to be setting up a personal cloud service for myself and family.

Long story story... Personal Back up, Media server, Cloud Server.

Please add or suggest any hardware I am missing. Thank you.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
"Overkill" is all relative.

The 32GB of USB 3 flash is a bad idea, until support for USB3 is stable and steady. An 8GB USB2 stick is cheaper and few doubts as to whether it'll work.

The ethernet driver support for the parts on the X10 boards may not be there yet, especially in FreeNAS 8. I am guessing at least one of them is supported in FreeNAS 9, but not having tried the hardware, and not having the time to research it right now, I refer you to the forum search to look for information I had previously posted about driver support for the i210 and i217 parts.

Wyl

Explorer
mmhmm.. your right i didn't see the "Non-ECC" ... I guess I am going back to the X9SCL-F

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Great catch there, I got onto a tangent with the ethernet driver issue.

Wyl

Explorer
I have updated my build list to my lastest tech picks!

My Question is, If and when I run a MineCraft Server, Do I have enough power to run a MineCraft Server? I can not seem to find the minimum requirements for different plugins?

matto

FreeBSD Advocate
iXsystems
Specs look good. I prefer SATA DOMs over USB flash because the SATA DOMs tend to be way more stable & reliable. However, swapping out a USB flash drive is not a big deal ;)

Minecraft is a Java server so it is a bit memory hungry, especially if you're running ZFS.
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Server/Requirements

Should be able to handle it no problem, though.

best,
-matt

Reactions: Wyl

Wyl

Explorer
Specs look good. I prefer SATA DOMs over USB flash

I did a quick search and can not find a DOM... are they sold under another name?

I was also going to follow this tutorial to install the MineCraft server
http://tapalla.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/setup-a-minecraft-server-on-your-freenas/

I have a lot of reading to do, but since I am in the Noob Section.... My intention of installing the SSD was a place I could install the Minecraft server, assuming that would be a better place for it... better read write speed for everyone on the server. But I am reading the Jail should be installed on the ZFS.
Do I even need the SSD now for my Basic FreeNAS setup?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
SATA disk-on-module is generally a device between cheap USB and a full-on SSD. Suggest trying running without the SSD for now, can be added if needed.

Wyl

Explorer
What About using the SSD 120Gb for the ZIL I am reading about?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
What About using the SSD 120Gb for the ZIL I am reading about?

A ZIL is useless for most average users. If you have a heavy sync write workload, it becomes a win, but that is not common. If you have a heavy read workload, L2ARC can be helpful, but really only if multiple pool consumers are doing things simultaneously such that the pool cannot serve them efficiently.

Generally, both ZIL and L2ARC are not helpful on small personal systems without special circumstances intervening.

Wyl

Explorer
First I want to thank everyone that has been helping be so far!!!

Another Minecraft sever question!

My nephew (12yrs) found out I am building a server, and is now begging me to run a Minecraft server him and his friends. Talking about a sever with a few people at work, now they want me to run a server as well. I am guessing I could host about 10-20 people connecting to my server. I will also want to be loading Bukkit and maybe a few Minecraft plugins!

The Minecraft server requirements are HERE
Requirements​
Players​
CPU​
RAM​
HDD​
WAN Up​
WAN Down​
[hide]​
Notes​
Recommended​
18-24 Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 2200+
and better 2 GB 16 GB empty space 8 Mbps 4 Mbps
Good​
24-45 Intel Core-Based CPUs or AMD K8-Based CPUs
and better 4 GB 25 GB empty space 14 Mbps 7 Mbps
Optimal​
45+ Intel Core-Based CPUs or AMD K8-Based CPUs
and better 6 GB 35 GB empty space 30 Mbps 15 Mbps A Mechanical Disk or a SLC SSD with high Read/Write speeds is recommended.

I don't know how well the Minecraft Jail runs on FreeBSD/FreeNAS. Can it handle the any of the traffic mentioned above? Can I load Bukkit? Can I load Plugins?

How would you setup this server now? A "regular" FreeNAS setup, or Maybe a VMware or Ubuntu setup to run both servers?

Any other recommendations?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Outside my sphere of knowledge. I hope somebody else can chime in.

Wyl

Explorer
I have figured out my problem! ... I keep flip flopping on what my server is for.
icon_redface.gif

In the middle of designing my NAS, I am getting caught up making a Minecraft server large enough for the number of people that want to join. I just don't want to create a laggy server...

I guess I have to stop standing at the side lines, and get in the game so to speak!

Hoping fully my ram will come next week, and I can finish my build. (found some used HP Ram ECC 1333) and purchasing 4x 8Gb!!! w00t

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Good reason to go bigger/larger. One of the fantastic benefits to virtualization (and jails are basically a variant) is the ability to have large reserves of resources handy for on-demand use.

mikeyr

Dabbler
Did you ever get your minecraft server going? I just build a server with similar hardware to what you were proposing and my kids are begging for a minecraft server. Do you have any helpful instructions on how to manage the minecraft install?
Thanks!

Wyl

Explorer
Status
Not open for further replies.