my box was working now - g_vfs_done error = 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethereal

Guru
hello, thank you for reading my post.

my freenas box was ok - 9.2.1.8 i think. i was going to update to 9.3 so i went to my web console and there was an error and i couldn't view the page. i was still able to access the files across the network. i switched the box off using the power button as i hoped a reboot would solve my problems. but then i couldn't access my files or the web console. i connected a monitor to my box and i can now see a long list of the same error -

g_vfs_done():ufs/FreeNASs1a[READ(offset=9364348928, length=4096)]error = 5

i did a search on this site and i found that somebody had a similar problem with too little memory - i have 32gb
and 10tb disks

hopefully somebody can help me

Last edited:

ethereal

Guru
i had a different usb stick with freenas on it so i tried booting from that and i get the same error. so i don't think it is the usb stick causing the problem :-(

ethereal

Guru
on my box i went in to the console and ran zpool status FreeNAS

it said FreeNAS is online - the last scrub repaired 0 in 16h 10m with 0 errors on dec 28th. raidz2 online all disks online (read, write cksum all 0)

the scrub is supposed be done weekly on sunday - not sure why it skipped the last two weeks

should i run a scrub?

ethereal

Guru
okay - i started a scrub - 39% done 6h45m to go. 0 repaired.

i did a little more digging and found the df command - this showed me that ufs/FreeNASs1a is my usb boot drive which has 948903 1k-blocks

is offset=9364348928 too big ?

where did the offset number come from ?

if do a fresh install on a usb stick will this fix the problem or is the problem on my zraid2 ?

i'm a little sad, all my family media are on this freenas box (about 8 tb i think)

ethereal

Guru
okay - i think i fixed it - i was booting with a spare usb stick 9.2.1.5 but i still had a stick on the m/b.

i removed the original stick on the m/b and made sure all the cables i could reach were mounted correctly and rebooted and it works - i can access my files and the web console

i think tomorrow i will put the original usb stick back and see if that is the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.