Hi new member from the UK

I’m building a my Nas from an old pc that I upgraded into a gaming pc from about 10 years ago. Since then Iv been into laptops and not been pc gaming. I am now into video editing for my small car YouTube channel and the 256gb ssd on my MacBook Pro sucks, AHCI ssd’s are expensive and external drives are a pain! So Freenas made from my old pc seams the cheapest and best option

80B56C3B-83F1-4313-99DD-A22DC897D50A.jpeg

So the base hardware
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+ 2.2ghz
Acer am2 ht 2000 motherboard nvidia chipset
Onboard Fast Ethernet
x4 1gb dd2 800mhz ram
Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS
160gb hdd
250gb
500watt psu

Upgrades from eBay!
AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+ 3.2ghz (£17)
150w tdp cpu cooler (£30)
Switch to using nForce integrated graphics
x4 2gb dd2 800mhz ram (£20)
60gb Kingston ssd for OS (£16)
x3 3tb hdd (£130)
Gigabit Ethernet pci card (£6)
AMCC x1 pci-e 2 port raid card (£12)

Bought the raid card then after reading on here it not a good to use one? Was planning to use x2 1tb drive in raid 1 for important documents. Would a hba card be a better option for more drive expansion as the motherboard only has x4 sata ports (speed unknown)

I am looking in the future to upgrade the cpu and motherboard in future, as the board only has 4 sata ports, cpu is old and just want to see how it performs!

Let me know what you think of my setup that I’m going to build and let me know on some improvements I could make

Thanks

Brad

pschatz100

Guru
Firstly, using a raid card is a big no-no. Read the ZFS resource guides here on the forum if you want to know why. If you need to add more drives, an HBA is a much better way to go. Lots of threads on the forum about this, along with recommendations for setting them up.

You can set up a two drive mirror in ZFS for your important documents.

If you are going to buy an ethernet card, make certain it is an intel card. They are well supported by FreeBSD (the underlying OS for FreeNAS.) If you already bought the card, do an internet search and make certain it is compatible with FreeBSD. If not, you will have headaches.

Don't have unreaslistic expectations about performance. If the system is stable, it will probably be OK as a simple file server - but don't expect much more than that.