mSATA on ASUS Z87-WS

Status
Not open for further replies.

elginite00

Cadet
My build: Asus Z87-WS
SAMSUNG MSATA 32GB (FOR FREENAS TO LIVE)
INTEL I3-4130T
G.SKILL 32GB
XFX 850 MODULAR PSU
4 X SEAGATE 3TB
4 X SEAGATE 4TB
I've thrown some money at this build and can't get the thing to boot from the mSATA drive. I have kids and don't care for a usb sticking out of the case for fear that they will break it off. My previous build used a usb stick and worked fine until the cheap usb stick failed. I was starting fresh with a board that would support my hard drives.

My question is, has anyone booted freenas from mSATA? 9.1 is what I am trying to boot. I temporarily installed a dvd-rom to install freenas to mSATA and everything seemed to work there, but no boot after install.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
A lot of problems will go away if you just go with the manual's recommendations. Go with USB and get http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IV6S9S/?tag=ozlp-20 . Now it's internal, its on the USB which is the recommended configuration and your problem is solved!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Yeah, suggest you buy this sir. It will solve your problem. Doesn't stick out at all. Kids-safe.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Mine's better! (this is a joke... you better laugh!)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Also, this one. Which is what I use.

warri

Guru
If the system doesn't boot from a given medium, it's usually a BIOS configuration problem. Or not supported at all ;)
How did you attach the mSata - does the board have a dedicated slot or is it some kind of sata adapter?

elginite00

Cadet
The board has a dedicated mSATA slot. I do get an error 19.

If I can get away from boot from usb, it would be preferable.

@cyberjock, nice one.

Status
Not open for further replies.