mpt0 error (timedout)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wr00

Dabbler
Hello all,

It's been a while since I have had time to tinker around with FreeNAS, but decided to stop back in. Previous I had 9.10 installed on my system, and everything ran fine--spec to follow.

IBM SystemX x3200 M2
4x 2TB WD SATA drives
8GB RAM

Last night, I decided to clean up everything--new drives and boot flash drives--and install FreeNAS 10. Everything went fine on the install to the flash drive, all drives were detected; however, on the first boot cycle I kept getting a mpt0 error. Since the error kept clearing on the plugin load (I will get more information tonight, this happened late last night) I don't have the exact error, but in a nutshell, it is as follows:

mpt0: mpt_recovered timedout resetting connector

I will try to get the exact error this evening.

Anyone have any insight? I know the system is older, but I usually do all of my testing on it before moving to one of my other servers.

Edit: I have attached a picture of the error. There is another flash prior to it displaying, but it goes by too quick to get a picture.

Attachments

• 20170217_113928.jpg
    20170217_113928.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Presumably, a drive is failing or something similar is happening.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
And why are you using an SAS HBA (SAS1, no less) if you only have four drives?

wr00

Dabbler
Presumably, a drive is failing or something similar is happening.

I am I the process of attempting another install destination drive brand (two of the same brand/model failed). Even after removing all drives, I got the same errors.

And why are you using an SAS HBA (SAS1, no less) if you only have four drives?

That's just how the server was configured when I received it. Probably not the best option. The quick connect of the hot swap trays do make it convenient, though.

Last edited:

wr00

Dabbler
The problem turned out to be the SanDisk Ultra Fit 64GB flash drives. Not sure why, but it refused to boot from them. I did a fresh install on a PNY 16GB and it loaded without fault.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Happens at times. Odd quirks that some devices have.

wr00

Dabbler
Follow up on this issue:

After I got FreeNAS 10 to boot on a flash drive (or so it appeared to), I put the drives back in and received the same looping mpt0 error. Though, I can't say for certain if it did actually boot correctly without the drives in, as I didn't have any networking hooked up, it defiantly acted different with the drives in. I ended up giving up on the quest for 10 and stepped back to 9.10, which installed flawlessly on the previous flash drives I had problems with.

This is probably more of a hardware compatibility issue more than anything and probably not worth pursuing. This server, although updated to a point, was originally purchased back in 2009--it has a few years. I may consider trying 10 again on my Dell PowerEdge r720xd.

Status
Not open for further replies.