Move jails and iohyve VMs to SSD??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelBatz

Dabbler
Hey everybody,

I recently bought a new SSD for my PC. So now I have a 120GB SSD spare. First I configured the 120GB SSD as a L2ARC in my server. After 10 days of warming up, I would still only have a hit ratio of ~3%. I mostly use my server for streaming. I knew, that I wouldn't benefit that much from a L2ARC, but I still wanted to try it out in real life. Test performance and see how much RAM would be sacrificed for L2ARC index. I have come to the conclusion, that I don't need it.

I have now made a new pool, with just the SSD striped. I want to use it for my jails and iohyve VMs. Is there anyway, that I can move my current jails and iohyve VMs, to the new pool?

m0nkey_

MVP
Hey everybody,

I recently bought a new SSD for my PC. So now I have a 120GB SSD spare. First I configured the 120GB SSD as a L2ARC in my server. After 10 days of warming up, I would still only have a hit ratio of ~3%. I mostly use my server for streaming. I knew, that I wouldn't benefit that much from a L2ARC, but I still wanted to try it out in real life. Test performance and see how much RAM would be sacrificed for L2ARC index. I have come to the conclusion, that I don't need it.

I have now made a new pool, with just the SSD striped. I want to use it for my jails and iohyve VMs. Is there anyway, that I can move my current jails and iohyve VMs, to the new pool?
Yes, this is an easy one. Stop all of your plugins/jails before you begin.

Make a recursive snapshot of your jails dataset:
zfs snapshot -r tank/jails@backup
Then send that snapshot to the SSD pool:
zfs send tank/jails@backup | zfs recv ssdpool/jails
Once, you've done that, simply change your jail root in the GUI under Jails > Configuration.

Replace tank/jails and ssdpool/jails with whatever your pool/dataset names are.

Status
Not open for further replies.