mounting ext2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fracai

Guru
I'm getting my new box set up and need to bring some data over from some ext2 disks that I created under Ubuntu. Previously, they were formatted as HFS and this appears to be picked up as the partition layout rather than the ext2 layout.

I'd expect to see ada0 and ada0p1, but instead I'm seeing ada0, ada0p1, and ada0p2, which seems to correspond to the output of gpart show /dev/ada0:
Code:
=>       34  976773101  ada0  GPT  (465G) [CORRUPT]
         34          6        - free -  (3.0k)
         40     409600     1  efi  (200M)
     409640  976101344     2  apple-hfs  (465G)
  976510984     262151        - free -  (128M)

Perhaps it's that "CORRUPT" label up there on the GPT? They mount fine with Ubuntu, so I'm not sure what the corruption means.

Oh, tune2fs reports that the inode size is 256. I've seen conflicting reports that this is the only supported size, and that the only supported size is 128.

So, how can I get these disks mounted? I know the superblock offset, but FreeBSD mount doesn't like that option.

Ideally, I'd avoid reformatting, but if that's the only option, what's the best format to use? It needs to be writeable under Ubuntu and readable by FreeNAS.

ProtoSD

MVP
fracai,

FreeNAS doesn't support importing HFS, and you are correct about the 128 bit inode size, unless something has changed that I'm not aware of.

I think your best and safest option is copying over your LAN.

After re-reading your post, I see that the disk is *supposed to be* ext2, not HFS. The "corrupt" part is a little concerning. I think I would hook it back up to Ubuntu and run fsck on the proper *unmounted* partititon, then give it a try again and see what FreeNAS thinks.

fracai

Guru
OK, I don't know what's going on with the corrupt GPT bit (under Ubuntu, I used fdisk to create a single partition and then mkfs.ext2 to format that), but I used testdisk under Ubuntu to rewrite the partition table and I'm now able to mount the ext2 partition.

Thanks for responding.

Status
Not open for further replies.