SOLVED Mounting a share on OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexis

Cadet
Hello

i have been battling with this, tried many different things, googled for help with no success
I have a freenas mini running 9.3
and my client is a imac running the latest version of elcapitan

I have 2 cifs shares, which i can perfectly access from the network section in my finder
i am trying to mount one of these shares to a folder on the mac so the path remains permanent

i have tried this with both cifs and nfs shares, having the same problem

I have created the folder /NAS on the imac drive and chmod it to r+w
I have created the file /etc/auto_nfs

/shared/NAS -fstype=nfs,noowners,nosuid,rw nfs://192.168.1.35/mnt/zfspool/NAS

I have added the last line in auto_master

#
# Automounter master map
#
+auto_master # Use directory service
/net -hosts -nobrowse,hidefromfinder,nosuid
/home auto_home -nobrowse,hidefromfinder
/Network/Servers -fstab
/- -static
/- auto_nfs -nosuid

then # sudo automount -vc

when i access the mounted folder through /NAS, i can see and read all the files, i can create a folder - so it is not readonly, but when i try to copy a file there from my computer, it creates an empty file and pops up a window saying Finder.app wants to make changes, type your password. If i do it asks me if i want to overwrite the blank file, and fails to create the file on the NAS
note that file copy works fine from the terminal, but there seems to be something happening from the finder, that also blocks other programs from copying on the share as well

once again if i access the freenas directly from the shared section on the finder it works perfectly

not sure if i make some good sense, but i have googled all around and tried many different things unsuccessfully.

I know this is more of a apple question than a freenas question, but i guessed someone else here had the same problem or the knowledge on how to do this

cheers

Alexis

Last edited:

Alexis

Cadet
Alright, problem solved
It was due to ACL permissions on the folders and files, probably set when i tried different permission options

solved with using
find /mnt/zfspool/NAS/ -type d -exec setfacl -b {} \;
find /mnt/zfspool/NAS/ -type f -exec setfacl -b {} \;
to remove all ACL from the files and folders

....well i hope it is solved....

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
i am trying to mount one of these shares to a folder on the mac so the path remains permanent
Alternative approach: after mounting a share manually one time, add it to your login items and it will mount automatically every time you login.

Alexis

Cadet
The problem with that simpler approach is that when you switch users the mount will change names, adding a -1, -2 at the end of the folder name
which some programs like lightroom will not like as they wont be able to find their files

the only solution i found to that is to properly mount as a folder before the user logs in, so it doesnt change on user swap

dirar

Cadet
Alright, problem solved
It was due to ACL permissions on the folders and files, probably set when i tried different permission options

solved with using
find /mnt/zfspool/NAS/ -type d -exec setfacl -b {} \;
find /mnt/zfspool/NAS/ -type f -exec setfacl -b {} \;
to remove all ACL from the files and folders

....well i hope it is solved....
This solved my issue, I've spent so much time trying to figure it out, and now it's working. Many Many Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.