Monitor Folder For New SubFolder / Execute Script Or Cron Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Sorry if this was already answered elsewhere (was having no luck with search results urls working this morning)

I'm testing out setting quotas on User Home Directories and figure that I can easily set them with something like:
Code:
zfs set userquota@"Domain\User"=50G Data/Users

Only thing is that I am not making a User's Home folder the normal way. While there will be a DataStore and Share for "Users"; it is simply a Folder created via Windows Explorer that I will set the initial rights on (FreeNAS is also the Domain Controller here).

Rights aside, I could simply putty into FreeNAS and execute the command personally. But, I will not be the only person administering this and would prefer more of an automated method.

So, is there a simple way of monitoring "Data\Users" for a new SubFolder (only 1 level deep mind you) and execute a script (perhaps something like 'OnEvent' even)?
  • I know that I could simply setup a Cron Job to run often, but wanted a more intelligent solution
  • Wanting this to reside on FreeNAS itself and not another box (like Windows with a PowerShell Script)
Thanks in advance and if I am overlooking a simple solution, please feel free to hit me over the head with a keyboard. :)

P.S. Running FreeNAS 9.10

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Perhaps you can look at the devel/libinotify port/pkg to see how you would use it to get notified of changes to files/dirs. https://www.freshports.org/devel/libinotify

I also noticed there's a freebsd daemon available on github https://github.com/faelys/filewatcherd that seems to claim to be what you're asking for... I'm not 100% clear if it can watch for dirs alone or if it can only watch for files, but seems like what you want if you can rely on a file being there (or if you're better than me at reading the instructions, for empty dirs).

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

sretalla