Mixing LFF & SFF cages in HP server

RalphG

Cadet
I have a HP ML350P with two 6 bay LFF cages connected to a Dell H310 HBA (in IT mode) via a HP 3Gb expander card. I also have a 8 bay SFF cage that I would like to install in the same system. Will it work if I connect it to the SAS expander card, or do I need a second H310?

The only references to attempting mixing cages I can find online relate to running the system using the onboard SAS controller. These questions all seem to have been answered negatively by HP, who don’t want to test odd configurations.

NugentS

MVP
I have a HP ML350P with two 6 bay LFF cages connected to a Dell H310 HBA (in IT mode) via a HP 3Gb expander card. I also have a 8 bay SFF cage that I would like to install in the same system. Will it work if I connect it to the SAS expander card, or do I need a second H310?

The only references to attempting mixing cages I can find online relate to running the system using the onboard SAS controller. These questions all seem to have been answered negatively by HP, who don’t want to test odd configurations.
If you can plug it in , why wouldn't it work (not that I am familiar with the hardware)?