Mixed mode permissions on a single share

peteforde

Dabbler
I have a share called test-show.
I want to be able to share it via NFS and SMB
All users authenticate via Active Directory.
What I want to do is be able to share test-show in a mixed mode and be able to add users and groups via AD and also allow linux user to access the data. Our user sometime switch between windows and linux depending on the application being used. I know this is not a supported feature of trueNan although you can tell TrueNas the share as SMB and NFS. what is the tacky solution to this problem.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It's an important distinction to understand that AD is not how you authenticate to an SMB / NFS share. Active directory combines a variety of standards / protocols / services, but relevant here are LDAP and kerberos components). Client auth to an SMB share will be either through NTLM or Kerberos. NFSv3 has basically no authentication, NFSv4 can optionally require kerberos authentication. For Kerberos + NFSv4, you will need to ensure you have NFS SPN entries in the system keytab and configure kerberos (and preferably consistent id mapping) on the clients and sever. Setup / administration of this (KRB5 + NFSv4) can be involved and tricky if you are not familiar with the technologies involved.

peteforde

Dabbler
I realize it not how you authenticate to a share in SMB/NFS, sorry I did not make myself clear. And yes I am not familiar with setup and admin of KRB5+NFSv4