Missing interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

s.halm

Cadet
Hi all;

I'm new to free nas but when I start up my system I get to the final configuration message and I get something along the lines of "No configured interfaces were found. Try to do it manually".

when running an ifconfig I get
Code:
1: ipfw0: flags=8801<UP, SIMPLEX, MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 65536
2:        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUB, IFDISABLED, AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
3: lo0: flags=8049<UP, LOOPBACK, RUNNING, MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
4:        options-600003<RXCSUM, TXCSUM, RXCSUN_IPV6, TXCSUM_IPV6>
5:        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
6:        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlex 64 scopeid 0x7
7:        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
8:        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUB, AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

running "dmesg | grep -i network", i get:
Code:
1: WARNING: VIMAGE (virtualised network stack) is a highly experimental feature.
2: pci2: <network, ethernet> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
3: WARNING: VIMAGE (virtualised network stack) is a highly experimental feature.
4: pci2: <network, ethernet> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)

I'm not sure what or how I need to go about getting the onboard network card working here. I have an ASROCK - FM2A88X-ITX+ modo, which I have updated to the latest bios offered by the company.

It looks like then running pciconf -lv
Code:
none5@pci0:2:0:0:        class=0x020000 card=0x10a11849 chip=0x10a11969 rev=0x10 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Atheros Communications'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

D

dlavigne

If it's not showing in ifconfig, there's not a driver for it. You could create a feature request at bugs.freenas.org. If you do, include the pciconf in the request and post the issue number here.

In the mean time, you can search the forums for recommended NICs (which usually means Intel).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Atheros is the worse possible NIC you could pick. Not only are they not supported, their performance with OSes that are supported is horrible. Yes, I'm typing this from a machine with a built-in Atheros and its the one thing I absolutely despise about the machine.

Get an Intel and your problems will be solved.

s.halm

Cadet
I'll consider the Intel route any specific dual port cards you could suggest for this? Also seems there are several items in dev right now for this exact issue, see:
Feature #3441

Status
Not open for further replies.