Minecraft MineOS Setup

chravis

Contributor
Hi Friends,

I have finally gotten my new FreeNAS server up and running but I am still very much a noob at this. I happened to mention to my kids that there is a Minecraft plugin. They love Minecraft and play a version that we bought for Windows 10.

I installed the MineOS plugin (I did see threads about installing outside of the plugin, but I wanted to see if the plugin would be enough for me). I got the plugin installed and was able to log into the web interface. However, I quickly realized that I know nothing about Minecraft!

Questions - do I still need to buy a version (I assume the java version) of Minecraft? Is MineOS just the administration piece? I'm thoroughly confused. I did create a server, but I think I need to create a profile?

As you can see, I'm in uncharted territory here. Is there a tutorial for how to set up a basic Minecraft for kids to be able to play. I don't really understand profiles and mods and all that, so I'm hoping to just understand the basics to get something up and running.

Thank you so much for your help!

OS Version:
FreeNAS-11.2-U4.1
(Build Date: May 10, 2019 21:33)
Processor:
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v5 @ 3.30GHz (4 cores)
Memory:
24 GiB

Yes, you still need a Minecraft client (Java edition) to connect to the server(s) you set up.

The MineOS plugin provides a convenient way to manage the server side; if you run the server on FreeNAS that is always on, you can connect from any computer and start building/playing.

The first thing you need to do, is to download a profile; that determines the version of Minecraft. To get started, I would pick the latest official Mojang vanilla version 1.14.2, the one at the top of the list.

There's a good Youtube tutorial from William Dizon (the creator of MineOS) himself, where he walks through setting up a server:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qIacEjo88M

chravis

Contributor
Thank you @Jurgen Segaert , that is helpful. Let me get a few things straight before I proceed. So for each laptop (or client) that I want to play Minecraft on, I need to buy and download the Minecraft Java Edition. Is this correct? Then, somewhere in that client edition I would point to the MineOS server running on my FreeNAS box? With that said, we already have Minecraft running on a Windows 10 laptop. I believe my wife bought it through the Windows 10 App Store. My guess is that version is not compatible with the MineOS server and we'd need to buy the java version? I don't recall that Windows 10 version connecting to any particular server, so maybe that's why I am initially confused.

About selecting profiles in the server setup. I see the following in the list. Where do I pick the latest official Mojang vanilla version? I have googled some of these so I think I understand they are mod packs, but I'm not completely sure.
ftb_third_party
ftb
forge
paperspigot
spigot
imagicalmine
mianite
bungeecord
spongevanilla
cuberite
nukkit

Yes, you need the Java Edition. If you bought the old Mojang Minecraft, now called "Java Edition", you can get the Windows 10 version for free, but not the other way round.

Did you download it? First click on the "Profiles" link in the left toolbar. The Official Mojan profiles show at the top. Click on "download" and after it's been downloaded, it should be available to select in the server page.

chravis

Contributor
Ok, in the MineOS server setup, I went to Profiles and now I see Mojang as an option. I did not see Mojang as an option yesterday. I only saw the options I listed in my previous post. I'm not sure what happened there. In any case, I have downloaded Mojang 1.14.3. I created a new server and selected 1.14.3 as the profile and started the server. It says it's running, so I guess I'm go with the server part? Now I just need to work on the client part?

Yes, make note of the server's IP address and the port.
Start the Minecraft launcher, pick the release the matches the one on the server; The default is "Latest (1.14.3)", so that should be ok.
Click "Play" and then "Multiplayer", "Add server" and enter the <IP>:<port> in the server address and that's it. The server should now show in the list and you can join it.

chravis

Contributor
Ok, I'll go download the java client and give it a try later. I got a little sidetracked since yesterday. One question though. When I first installed the MineOS plugin and logged into the MineOS Web Interface, the dashboard said "Uptime 76:44:45". How could it be up for 76 hours when I just installed it?

And so I'm clear on Mojang accounts. From what I gather, if I have 2 kids, then I need two Mojang accounts so that they can take full advantage of having their own character and skins. I assume each of those accounts has to be paid for. Is the download tied to an account or will one download work for both? I know that sounds silly, I just want to make sure I understand before I start buying stuff. So in other words, if I download the java version of Minecraft client on a pc laptop, can either of my kids play on that laptop? Then if I do the same thing on a second laptop, either of my kids would be able to play on that laptop?
And maybe also, if I end up getting a new laptop, can I just copy over the installer (or java jar file or whatever it is) to the new laptop?

Thank you so much for your help. Hopefully this will be near the end of my questions about Minecraft.

Last edited:

Mikelewis

Cadet
My guess is that version is not compatible with the MineOS server and we'd need to buy the java version?