Migration Sanity Check

SuF1X

Dabbler
Hi All,

I've been using Truenas Core for a long time and have my original pool encrypted using "(Legacy Encryption)" with Geil. Long term goal is to migrate whole truenas to Scale, but I understand that is not possible with current set-up.

Currently got 10 datasets on there with SMB shares.

I have another pool on the system which has enough spare space to assist with migration.

My understanding of the process is:

1. Create and run replication task for all 10 datasets.(step1 screenshot)
2. Wipe existing pool
3. Create new pool without encryption(or maybe I can encrypt again? - any advice would be appreciated)
4. Create and run same replication back to new pool
5. Re-link SMB Shares?

Is this the right approach? Will I lose any permissions? any tips and safety measures would be welcome.

Kind Regards,
Anton

Attachments

• Step1.png
    Step1.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 48

Arwen

MVP
In theory, you can remove GELI encryption, live, depending on your redundancy and hardware. These seems to show the process and gotchas:

Whence the pool is no longer using GELI encryption, you can make new ZFS datasets that use ZFS native encryption as desired. Then migrate data from existing to the new. If you don't have enough on-line space, then you have to backup some data to make space.

Of course, if you migrate a dataset from un-encrypted to ZFS native encryption, you can restore the dataset name.

Arwen

MVP
Oh, I forgot to mention that if you do remove the GELI encryption, obviously all data is un-encrypted. Even if you migrate immediately to encrypted, the old data will hang around until over-written.

There is a process to clear "free" space, for exactly this purpose. Whence you have migrated all your data to ZFS native encryption, and deleted any old un-encrypted copies, try this;
But, read through it completely.