Migrating Mirrored pool from dead Synology NAS to new TrueNAS Core NAS

mattbo

Cadet
Hi,
Hoping for an easy answer on this one. I have a colleague whos Synology NAS has died. Not sure of the model, but MB died and drives are fine.
This a mirrored pool with 2 identical 2TB drives. - I don't have hands on the drives yet so not sure what FS they are, but they are data only I believe. I've moved TrueNAS to TrueNAS easily and hoping it's possible that a TrueNAS solution could identify the drives and I can simply create a mirrored pool without formating the drives and preserving the data.
Has anyone done this before and any tips/tricks.
Kind regards
M

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah no, that's not how it works. TrueNAS exclusively uses ZFS, whereas Synology combines the eternal pain of Linux's software RAID tools with the dubious quality of btrfs. TrueNAS Core has no hope of reading that, but TrueNAS Scale might be able to do so. even if only temporarily.

In any case, you will need suitable disks onto which to import the data since there is no in-place solution.

UdoB

Dabbler
Has anyone done this before and any tips/tricks.
While Eric Loewe nailed it I would like to add: whatever experiments you do with these disks, make a backup first. If whatever system you'll use for recovery re-creates the partition table or formats the disk then the data on it is gone.

Synology is a wide spread system. I did not search myself, but there should be some articles for "synology data recovery lvm btrfs" available somewhere in this universe.

Good luck!

mattbo

Cadet
Thanks Eric, Udo.
I thought as much, but hope springs eternal..
I'll be getting my hands on the system soon and will check it over. I'll post how I get on.
M