Migrate from Scale to Core

Brano

Cadet
Is it possible to migrate from Scale to Core without needed to re-configure from scratch?
I'm assuming all data will be safe, just a matter of re-importing the pools, correct?

I was running CORE on old QNAP 459+ with 2GB RAM for home use. It was working perfectly fine. Then I migrated from core to scale and that was a mistake, the QNAP HW can't handle scale, the gui is really sluggish. So I want to migrate back to core which was working perfectly fine.

I did not keep core config backup, only have the scale config backup.

Will the miggration from scale back to core work? Or is the only option to reconfigure from scratch?

Thanks

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, that's dangerous in any case, as the minimum memory requirement for Core has been raised from 8GB to 16GB. It might be a good idea to start looking to find a proper system to run this on, and then you can run either one.

Brano

Cadet
Thanks. Let me rephrase the question. Assuming one has HW with proper specs, is it possible to migrate from Scale to Core without having to redo the configuration?

smic717394

Dabbler
If you had a backup of core, I think you can install core, import the pool and then import the old config. Or if you upgrade from core to scale, maybe in boot you have the old core boot. ether way if you come from core 12 or older I don't think you can go back, because scale has upgraded the zfs, so if it was to go back, i would have to be 13