Migrate from mirror vdev to raidz1

giri98

Cadet
Here's my current pool configuration ada1 and ada3 are 2tb drives ada2 and ada0 are 4tb drives. I want to add one more 2tb drives and convert ada1 and ada3 in a raidz1.

1685032204436.png

Is it possible without loosing data?

Thanks.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hello @giri98

How much data is on your pool presently? If you have less than 4T total, you can use the ZFS vdev removal feature to remove the ada1 and ada3 devices from your "vault" pool. Data would be copied over to the (ada0+ada2) component, and then the two 2TB drives would be free to use in a separate RAIDZ pool.

giri98

Cadet
Hello @giri98

How much data is on your pool presently? If you have less than 4T total, you can use the ZFS vdev removal feature to remove the ada1 and ada3 devices from your "vault" pool. Data would be copied over to the (ada0+ada2) component, and then the two 2TB drives would be free to use in a separate RAIDZ pool.
Yes i have 1 tb used right now. Where did i find ZFS removal?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Yes i have 1 tb used right now. Where did i find ZFS removal?
Click on the vertical ellipsis (three dots) to the far right of your topmost MIRROR vdev, then choose REMOVE from the menu.

1685042887847.png

You'll be asked to confirm the removal, and after a moment it should send you back to the GUI. The removal will continue in the background. Once it's complete, the disks should show up under Storage -> Disks as having a pool of "N/A"

giri98

Cadet
Click on the vertical ellipsis (three dots) to the far right of your topmost MIRROR vdev, then choose REMOVE from the menu.

View attachment 66895

You'll be asked to confirm the removal, and after a moment it should send you back to the GUI. The removal will continue in the background. Once it's complete, the disks should show up under Storage -> Disks as having a pool of "N/A"
Thanks