Metadata not showing in Nextcloud - trying to install Exif

wgb920

Dabbler
I am trying to view metadata in Nextcloud for photos and files.
  • I installed Nextcloud on Truenas Scale using the Truecharts app.
  • I also enabled the Metadata app on Nextcloud, but I still do not see any metadata in the sidebar.

I believe I need to install the exif tool, but I don't know how to do that. I am new to all of this and need some basic instructions.

I logged into truenas as root and was able to download exiftool with this...

Code:
root@truenas[~]# git clone https://github.com/exiftool/exiftool.git

I then changed to the exiftool directory...

Code:
root@truenas[~]# cd exiftool

But when I try to install it..

Code:
root@truenas[~/exiftool]# apt install exiftool

I get a message that says "zsh: permission denied: apt"

I got to the shell by going to 'System Settings' > 'Shell."

1. Is this the right place to install this?
2. What is the right way to install this?

Ultimately, I just want to be able to see the metadata on photos and files in the sidebar in Nextcloud. If there is an easier way to get that to work, I will do that instead.

In truenas you use the pkg command i.e.
pkg install exiv2-0.27.6,1 and or pkg install php81-exif-8.1.18 if you are running a different version of php use the corresponding version. php -v will tell you.
php80-exif-8.0.28_1 The exif shared extension for php
php81-exif-8.1.18 The exif shared extension for php
php82-exif-8.2.5 The exif shared extension for php

wgb920

Dabbler
Thank you, John! I'm still having problems. I would very much appreciate a bit more direction on this.

When I run php -v from the Nextcloud application shell I get version 8.1.13. I tried installing the exif package using that version ending in 13 (php81-exif-8.1.13) as well as what you posted, php81-exif-8.1.18. Both said the package was not found.

chrome_9Vp1av0a3E.png

When I try to run php -v from the system shell I get the message: "zsh: command not found: php."
chrome_L4dlhF5FXK.png

Im sorry was late and i did not see you said you were running Scale. So yes those commands may not work as I run and know core based on BSD. However, i suspect these are more or less the correct packages, just need to figure out which exact versions and install them. A Scale user might give us some pointers.

On a debian based system apt search exif should list the available versions

NugentS

MVP
@wgb920 John Digital was trying to help you install Nextcloud in a JAIL on Core - not a container under Scale and has led you up the garden path I am afraid.

I don't use nextcloud - never got on with it but you install the container. The container includes nextcloud - you do NOT attempt to install nextcloud in the container or onto TN Scale - that won't work.

You should not be trying to install exif onto TN Scale. Scale is an appliance OS, not a linux distribution and is not meant to be modified and you won't get a lot of help here to modify Scale.