Memtest in GRUB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJT211

Patron
According to the bugfix board,
https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4114

Memtest has been added to the grub menu. Added more RAM and it appears one might be bad.

Where can I find it?

I rebooted my NAS and am in the "GNU Grub menu". The only option that makes sense is "Boot Environment Menu"

Once in there I see 2 choices:
True OS (initial install)
True OS (default)

When I select default I see Normal boot, Single User Mode, Verbose mode. Am I looking in the right place? I'm on the most current 9.3 stable release btw.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Slight misunderstanding: If you check the newer feature request, you'll see it's "Not to be fixed" and Memtest86+ was never added.

JJT211

Patron
Ahhh....ok, no biggie! It was pretty simple to run from USB anyway.

In case anyone stumbles upon this thread:

- Go to http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
- Click on the link "Image for Creating bootable USB drive" Windows or Linux/Mac
- Unpack the ZIP file.
- Run the imageUSB.exe file and follow onscreen instructions. See readme.txt

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Or just grab the ISO and mount it through IPMI.

JJT211

Patron
Dammit, you're right, been waiting for a reason to try that!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Not that easily because of the crappy java client... I still prefer a good old keyboard :P

JJT211

Patron
Not sure what version of java client you're using, but the only keyboard ill ever user from now on is the one my laptop as Im laying in bed.

Thanks again for the reminder! Im def hooked!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not that easily because of the crappy java client... I still prefer a good old keyboard :p
Yeah, special characters can be very painful to input... At least for us non-US keyboardians. Hell, it took me forever to try to get my US keyboard (I jumped on the mechanical keyboards bandwagon before European layouts were popular) to work with the viewer and I still had to end up using its on-screen keyboard for something as simple as a forward slash.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Not sure what version of java client you're using, but the only keyboard ill ever user from now on is the one my laptop as Im laying in bed.

Thanks again for the reminder! Im def hooked!

Actually the NAS is at less than one meter of my bed so I can use a real keyboard from my bed if I want :P

And java is java whatever the version is: it's utter crap from the bottom of the pile of the worst garbage of the whole humanity... yeah, I really hate java :)

Status
Not open for further replies.