Memory Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfran1990

Patron
Is it just me or does this system seem a tiny bit extreme?

128GB ECC Memory
Dual Xeon E5-2650 v2
8 x 6TB Drives (Z2)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is it just me or does this system seem a tiny bit extreme?

128GB ECC Memory
Dual Xeon E5-2650 v2
8 x 6TB Drives (Z2)
I can't help but ask, compared to what? I guess it depends on what you need out of a NAS, but if you buy a system planning to have it for 6 years or more and you know that you are going to need to expand the storage at some point...

What, exactly is your complaint about this?

dturner71.dt

Explorer
That is just my iSCSI array. I have another 8 x 6TB for backups and files sharing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tfran1990

Patron
i have no complaints, heck i wish i had a system that powerful. my system gets used to record FTP from my ip cameras and i have a SMB share drive for me and another person.also i backup pictures on my phone. in the future i would like to run a voice client like mumble or discord in my freenas.

i went with the
HP pro ML10 i3 6100
20GIG ECC
5 x 2TB

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
i have no complaints, heck i wish i had a system that powerful. my system gets used to record FTP from my ip cameras and i have a SMB share drive for me and another person.also i backup pictures on my phone. in the future i would like to run a voice client like mumble or discord in my freenas.

i went with the
HP pro ML10 i3 6100
20GIG ECC
5 x 2TB
It is a little step, but the cost compared to buying new isn't so bad:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro...-2-6ghz-8-Core-128gb-24-Bay-JBOD/292399861990

You can also get a good deal on this and add your own system board, CPU and whatnot:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3U-Supermi...w-x2-PSU-Great-working-condition/232529672155

tfran1990

Patron
i looked at the cost of the E5-2650, it is a couple generations old but the performance is not much less then the current. DDR3 ECC ram is cheap as hell. the base cloclk for ddr3 is much slower then ddr4 but with freenas that doesnt matter all that much. now that i think about it i kinda wish i would have gotten that supermicro board with 2 of the E5 2650. 32 gigs would of still been less then 1/2 what i had to pay for a 16g stick of ddr4.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
The used market is filled with DDR3 RAM coming out of systems that are being retired. I was able to buy 64GB of that hyper-special DDR3 unbuffered ECC RAM for the Asrock C2750D4I via ebay for $240, which is about 1/4 of the new price. Figure out exactly what you want, then set a search for it.

Yes, you want to verify that it's good once you receive it (memtest) but this is another reason to consider older hardware, especially in a SOHO context where you generally stick more to traditional server roles and older / less capable CPUs will be fine.

dturner71.dt

Explorer
Not sure this is testing ecc or not :

upload_2018-1-13_11-13-57.png

Redcoat

MVP
No, it isn't testing the ECC function - you need the paid version for that. It is testing your ECC memory of course.

You are actually not using the latest version of Memtest (though if you just downloaded the "non +" version, you have it) - it has a graphical interface and is loaded via UEFI boot. It takes "a bit of reading" on the Passmark web site to unravel all of this first time through.

There's a thread under username "Redcoat" on their memtest forum page, too, that might help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my new system up and running.
Supermicro MB
128GB ECC Memory View attachment 22315
Dual Xeon E5-2650 v2
LSI 2810 Controller
8 x 6TB Drives (Z2)

Created a iSCSI target @ 10TB. Mounted and started a data transfer. After 5 minutes, server stops responding and I see this error on the console :
Bad memory stick on bank 7???

I did a 24 hour memory burn in with memtest86. 3 complete loops no issues so i;m at a loss why his is an issue.

Thanks
Intel NIC? Try -tso as option in the link.

Still issues?

Sendt fra min ONEPLUS A5000 med Tapatalk

dturner71.dt

Explorer
I got the 2 memory sticks replaced and figured out I was booting legacy and that's why the correct version of MemTest86 was not running. Corrected the bios and got the correct version of MNemTest86 running.

I've been running the test for about 12 hours now and see there are 2 ecc errors, yet Supermicro event log has no errors like it had previously for the 2 bad memory sticks.

upload_2018-1-22_8-44-3.png

Is this how ecc works or should I be concerned?

Thanks.

Dustin

Redcoat

MVP
If you don't get a clear answer here to your question I suggest that you post the above error report in the Passmark Memtest forum. I got answers there ...
EDIT: It was Passmark itself that was directly responsive on the workings of the ECC function.

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard
ECC corrects errors when they occur. However, you usually should not see ECC errors, because only exceptional events (like the occasional cosmic ray) cause ECC errors. It's possible that, if you only see those two during the test, that this is all that is happening. However, if you are seeing a stream of ECC errors, that indicates a serious problem, usually with that memory stick. If you see ECC errors on a particular stick, make sure to move it to a different socket to make sure that the errors go with it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No, it is not expected. Either memtest is reading things incorrectly (very likely) or the BMC is reading things incorrectly (not unheard of, but it seemed to work fine before, right?).

Status
Not open for further replies.