Memory Hynix vs. Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyl

Explorer
I was lucky enough to find a guy that was selling Samsung server ram for a really good price. But it was not compatible with my Supermicro board X9SCM-F-o. When I plug the 32Gb memory in, I get the series of beeps that indicate a memory error. I went back to the guy and he offered to exchange it for some Hynix ram... I got the same error. :(

Samsung ram is: m393b1k70dh0-yh9

Hynix ram is: HMT41GU7MFR8C-H9

After some research, I need ram that is 1.5v and the above ram is 1.35v. Although Supermicro does list ram that work at 1.35v but the above does not work.

I know I am trying to start a discussion, but I have a few question first.

Do you know a way to get this ram to work with the linked board I purchased?

Since got a really good price for the ram; Am I better off returning my Supermicro board for a MicroATX board that is compatible with it? Or just cut me losses and but some standard 1.5v ram?

If i do get a new motherboard, should I pick the Samsung or Hynix memory?

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Wyl,

Go here:

http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/mem_exclude_DDR3_135V.cfm

Anything on that list has very little excuse for not working.

Grab a part number for some 8GB sticks and stuff it into google. I have had great luck finding DDR3 ECC unbuffered RAM from Superbiiz.com

I am comfortable telling you to get RAM that works in the Supermicro board over finding something that works with the RAM.

-Will

jgreco

Resident Grinch
m393b1k70dh0-yh9 is registered memory, commonly used in servers. the used market is flooded with this because nobody wants relatively low density memory in their big servers anymore, when 16gb is pretty affordable (128gb of 16gb sticks is about $1000).

the xeon e3 does not support registered memory, you need unbuffered. you can return the board and acquire a xeon e5 board if you wish to use that memory, but the boards are typically about $200-$300 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.