Marvell 88SE9230 passthrough fails for combination FreeBSD as Xen guest

Status
Not open for further replies.

eiselekd

Cadet
I'm trying to setup FreeNAS 11.2-beta1 inside a Xen guest. I want to us a 4 port Marvell 88SE9230 SATA controller PCI card in passthrough mode.
Host is a Ubuntu 18.04 Xen dom0. I have the IOMMU enabled, board is a GA-970A-DS3P.
The device seems to be present when booting FreeBSD when examining via lspci and pciconf.

However I have the strange behaviour that disks are not detected reliably. For instance I encountered this situation:
Code:
sysctl kern.disks
kern.disks: ada1 ada0 cd0 ada0

So it seems that name ada0 is detected 2 times. One instance of ada0 is the image based IDE root device. The othere ada0 and ada1 are two
disks from the Marvell controller.

I tried these combinations:
- Linux KVM as hypervisor with FreeNAS as Guest and 88SE9230 passthrough: 88SE9230 works with all connected disks detected
- Normal FreeNAS install : 88SE9230 works with all connected disks detected
- XEN-4.9 as hypervisor with Ubuntu 18.04 as Guest and 88SE9230 passthrough: 88SE9230 works with all connected disks detected
- XEN-4.9 as hypervisor with FreeNAS as Guest and 88SE9230 passthrough: 88SE9230 is passed through however disks are not detected reliably.

So it seems that for the combination FreeBSD running inside Xen the 88SE9230 passthrough failes.

Any hists how to debug this?

Last edited:

eiselekd

Cadet
Given the output of sysctl kern.disks I was able to work around this problem by switching the root device from image based IDE to Xen bus type which results in
Code:
sysctl kern.disks
kern.disks: ada1 ada0 cd0 xdb0

instead. Conclusion is that the Xen emulated IDE drive and the passthrough device allocated a device with same name ada0.

Status
Not open for further replies.