LSI SATA300-8X tools not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm trying to setup my 2x LSI SATA 300-8X.
It's running latest FreeNAS (freshly installed) on a Supermicro 3U server with dual opteron with 8 GB ram.
(I'll prolly add more later once I get things going just didn'T want to invest more for the "setup phase")

I'll be using this NAS for personnal stuff (DLNA, File Sharing) and for iSCSI for a VMWare test lab.

I can see in my /dev amr0 and amr1 so I know the controllers are detected and installed. (unless I'm very clueless and didn't look at it right)

The problem is when I want to create an array or in this exact case a JBOD drive with MegaCli nothing works.

MegaCli -AdpCount returns : Controller Count: 0

mfiutil show adapter returns : mfiutil: mfi_open: No such file or directory

So I'm pretty much without a clue.

What I'm trying to achieve is to be able to create/modify my RAID without having to reboot each time to go "IN" the controller.

Thanks for your help !

Franck

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You do know that you shouldn't be using RAID controllers with FreeNAS, right? It's got to be mentioned in the manual in at least 3 places, in my noobie guide at least once, and throughout the forum at least 100 times.

So I think the answer to your question is "use the right hardware and you will not only not lose your data but you won't have your current problem".

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes, you must. Using a RAID controller is one of the worst possible ideas you could ever come up with. Not sure why you'd choose to ignore all of the warnings, but you need to take them to heart and get better hardware for FreeNAS. If this isn't palatable you may want to look at other OSes which are better suited for RAID cards. ;)

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.