Lost network drive path {SOLVED}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Markert

Cadet
Everything has been perfect for weeks.
Suddenly this evening when I open file explorer on my windows desktop PC (Or if using my laptop which is Linux) the "Main Storage" folder is no longer there.
My choices are :
Homes
Root
Media
The first two I cannot connect to. I get an error "The network name cannot be found"
Media folder works fine

This even happens of I search the network using the NAS's IP address.
I can connect to my Plex server fine and I can connect to my owncloud fine, either through my remote ip addy OR my local internal IP addy.
It's almost as f the share was removed, but I went into the CIFS and everthing points to the correct folder on that drive /mnt/main

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Read the forum rules again. Freenas version and hardware spec's required for all questions. Also try to included any errors or log messages you see.

Tom Markert

Cadet
Sorry about that.. It was late and I was tired
FreeNAS 9.10.1
AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor
Memory 7906MB
6TB of WD Reds (2*3TB)
1TB WD Black cache drive
30G Adata (I think) OS Drive
And the only errors I see are on the monitor on the freeNAS machine so I took a picture because theres a lot of text..
photo.php

Cant figure out how to put it in here. But windows says "Error 0x80070043 Network name cannot be found" when I click on root or homes folders..
There used to be a folder that said "Main storage" and that was it, and everything worked fine.
I have just today figured out how to (using my linux laptop) get into the root of the file system and when I go to /mnt/main storage I can get in and everything is in there.. So the drive hasn't crashed (they're only a month old) and nothing was wiped.. It's as if FreeNAS lost track of where the share directory was.

D

dlavigne

Did the IP address of the FreeNAS system change? Do you have a hosts entry for the FreeNAS server on the Windows system? Does restarting the Windows client fix it?

Tom Markert

Cadet
In that text on the FreeNAS monitor I see the IP address is there, but backwards (10.1.168.192). How can I upload a picture of that? Or is there a way to just send it to you?
I've restarted FreeNAS and my PC's to no avail.
And as far as having it in a hosts list I am a networking noob so I have no idea how to check it. But the fact that it's also effecting the normal way of accessing even on my Linux only laptop I doubt this is the issue

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What address are you using to access the GUI? Maybe that 10.1.168.192 address is correct? Very strange that it is backwards ish

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Maybe that 10.1.168.192 address is correct? Very strange that it is backwards ish
It's funny since it's backward, but it's a perfectly valid private network address.

It's either a cruel joke to make developers chase endianness issues or a very weird coincidence.

Tom Markert

Cadet
To access using google chrome, 192.168.1.10, since day one it's never changed. Will try to upload that picture tonight

Attachments

• FreeNAS Error.jpg
    FreeNAS Error.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 351

Tom Markert

Cadet
No clue why that posted the picture upside down.. Sorry.. Will repost if you'd like

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You're address isn't backwards you are just looking at a log message that is telling you something not related to what you use to access the GUI.

Can you take a screen shot of the windows shares section in the freenas GUI? Also a screen shot of the datasets and permissions of main storage.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Tom Markert

Cadet
It's all better... I noticed on the share that it said "Use as home share" and it was checked.. I unchecked it and rebooted everything... Main Storage is back and even that weird log on the freenas monitor is gone...
Thanks for all your help! No idea of why I had checked that box recently.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
No idea of why I had checked that box recently.
Hi @Tom Markert,
Don't be too hard on yourself. My guess is you've been working on cars a bit longer ;) than computers.
If you just HAVE TO click on stuff to see what happens, keep a log sheet of your changes and learn to save
a copy of your configuration settings before making any change. Kinda like saving your progress in a game.

Tom Markert

Cadet
Hi @Tom Markert,
Don't be too hard on yourself. My guess is you've been working on cars a bit longer ;) than computers.
If you just HAVE TO click on stuff to see what happens, keep a log sheet of your changes and learn to save
a copy of your configuration settings before making any change. Kinda like saving your progress in a game.

Will work on the configuration saving idea right away! LOL.. Because my next adventure is setting up sickbeard and Headphones.. And I have NO IDEA how to do those and any google searches result in FreeNAS v. 8 at best

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Will work on the configuration saving idea right away! LOL.. Because my next adventure is setting up sickbeard and Headphones.. And I have NO IDEA how to do those and any google searches result in FreeNAS v. 8 at best
You don't really need FreeNAS specific directions. Figure out about jails storage and then use any basic instructions to set up those apps.

Stux

MVP
In-addr arpa addresses are backwards. They're for reverse lookup. So they're in reverse ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.