Lose the ability to write

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnFLi

Contributor
Not sure if this is an Apple issue or not:
I have a volume I created on FreeNAS which is then in turn connected to by a mac with iSCSI. Everything seems fine and dandy, spotlight works and all that happy junk.
my issue is, while trying to move ALOT of data to the volume about 50 tb from tape backup using commvault, i check the restore job, and see lots of errors saying it cannot create directories.

From the mac, I check permissions and all is as it should be. I can browse the volume, and read. I get an 'unexpected error -50' when I try to create a new directory manually.
So I try to eject the volume......it just sits there and doesn't do anything.
I logg out of the iSCSI connection (which then ejects teh F out of the volume lol).....I log back in with the iSCSI and I can create directories again. (Which is why i am here) it seems that for whatever reason, I loose the ability to write to the volume.

The iSCSI connector I am using is KernSafe.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
What motherboard ar you using?
Has this worked okay in the past?
Is this a one time issue or have you rebooted all of the involved equipment (FreeNAS & Mac) and does the problem persist?
Is FreeNAS running on bare metal? If not then how much RAM did you give it and is it locked?
Is the problem completely repeatable? (this helps a lot for the developers)

I'm just asking questions that may be relevant as searching for your issue didn't find any favorable matches so it's time to collect as much data as possible. But my first thought was you are running FreeNAS in a VM and you are having an issue due to low RAM, but if this is a bare metal machine with 64GB RAM, well then I don't see that being the case. The other issue "could" be that since you are reading a tape drive, maybe the speed of the tape reading the data exceeds the writing performance of the NAS and it runs out or cache space and fails. It's all speculation of course.

JohnFLi

Contributor
What motherboard ar you using?
it is a SuperMicro x100DRL-i motherboard

Has this worked okay in the past?
Haven't tried before as I am now trying to get this into production.

Is this a one time issue or have you rebooted all of the involved equipment (FreeNAS & Mac) and does the problem persist?
It only seems to happen when I am moving a lot of stuff through the apple file system. (or should I say 'crapple'?)

Is FreeNAS running on bare metal? If not then how much RAM did you give it and is it locked?
it is its' own physical machine.

Is the problem completely repeatable? (this helps a lot for the developers)
yes, i can do it whenever I run a restore job to it, usually takes less than an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stux

MVP
Not sure if this is an Apple issue or not:
I have a volume I created on Freenas which is then in turn connected to by a mac with iScsi. Everything seems fine and dandy, spotlight works and all that happy junk.
my issue is, while trying to move ALOT of data to the volume about 50 tb from tape backup using commvault, i check the restore job, and see lots of errors saying it cannot create directories.

from the mac, I check permissions and all is as it should be. I can browse the volume, and read. I get an 'unexpected error -50' when I try to create a new directory manually.
So I try to eject the volume......it just sits there and doesn't do anything.
I logg out of the iScsi connection (which then ejects teh F out of the volume lol).....I log back in with the iScsi and I can create directories again. (Which is why i am here) it seems that for wahtever reason, I loose the ability to write to the volume.

The iScsi connector I am using is KernSafe.

Any ideas?

I use the GlobalSan one and have no issues. It could be a KernSafe issue.

The same zvol should work the same way with GlobalSan, so you could try it instead.

Free 14 day trial:
http://www.studionetworksolutions.com/globalsan-iscsi-initiator/

JohnFLi

Contributor
I have tried globalsan before, but never was able to get it to work. I will try again in the morning. If I have issues still, I will start bugging you. Lol

JohnFLi

Contributor
Well, this is odd. I got globalsan to work. it connected without issue. I will try a restore and see what happens.

JohnFLi

Contributor
Still no idea why I could not get GlobalSan to work all the other times I tried to get it to work (I friggen hate macs).
But anyway......I have not had the issue I started this thread about since then......

Status
Not open for further replies.