Looking for simple setup for a webserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memphismark

Cadet
I am trying to set up a private web server so I can work on websites without exposing them to the Internet.

I already have FreeBSD 10.3 with FreeNAS running on a system. I do not have the time, desire nor personal bandwidth to learn the subtle intricacies of a UNIX command line. I just want it to work.

All I need is to install Apache/PHP/MySQL and get a web server to work without going through 372 command line entries. I am looking for a "Dummies" guide on how to do this, hopefully using the GUI. I used up my lifetime quota of CLI interactions in DOS 3.21 back in the 80's when I was young, dumb and ugly.

Any help? Thanks!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
If you were to install Ubuntu Server in a VM, you could choose LAMP server during the install and you'd be all set. Or you could do it later by running tasksel. Not GUI, but super easy.

adrianwi

Guru
You don't need to 'sudo' if you're connecting to the jail as the root user, which from the GUI you are!

I'd also be tempted to add 'nano' to the end of the first line and use that to replace any subsequent instructions/references to 'vi' unless you're already familiar with that editor (nano is much more noob-user friendly)

Also worth noting that those instructions are going to leave you with php56 and not php7, which may or not be of great concern (at least not yet)

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
Would it not be better to find a dockerized tutorial. Isn't that what all the cool kids web developers do these days?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

danb35

Hall of Famer
Would it not be better to find a dockerized tutorial
Not unless you're going to start with installing a Linux VM.

Status
Not open for further replies.