Looking for advice/help on idea I have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Milyard

Patron
Right now I basically have 4 NAS drives. I was given a Lenovo TS130 Xeon quad core with 16gb of ECC ram. I have got FreeNAS up and running on it using (4) 2tb hard drives. The on board controller only handles 4 SATA so it's maxed out.

I am thinking about getting a larger case for this Lenovo and maybe just using the drives from my other NAS with this system. I know would need larger case etc. I would also need to add a PCIe SATA 3 controller but not sure what one should get.

Any suggestions on case, controller, anything else, etc? Don't want to spend a ton $$ but want something nice.

gpsguy

Look at the hardware stickies.

Get an IBM M1015 for -$100 USD on eBay. Flash it to IT mode for use with FreeNAS.

Ray Milyard

Patron
For 4 more sata 3 ports how about a PCIe x1 card since I have this port open? This would give me 8 SATA 3 ports to use. I was thinking maybe (4) 2tb for one and (4) 3tb on the other?

crisman

Explorer
Pretty nice case there. This the Lenovo board will fix? Can't get much info so far on the board. Looks like it could.

Well, not sure!

This case supports micro-atx boards, if you could find the size of the Lenovo board could help to figure it out!

Ray Milyard

Patron
Look at the hardware stickies.

Get an IBM M1015 for -$100 USD on eBay. Flash it to IT mode for use with FreeNAS.

I have a question about this card. If I get one and add to system. Is there an external case I could say put 4 3.5" drives in? Then use other port internal?

Or maybe something 8 bay. Put 4 2tb in top 4 and 4 3tb in bottom for two different storage systems. Since the Lenovo TS130 server I found out only has 2 sata 3 ports. Thinking could then use the 2 inside for maybe a third volume.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.