Locked out of IPMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matdif

Explorer
Have an asrock motherboard with IPMI which was working fine.

Added its info to the freenas ipmi screen and now I can no longer log into it. When freenas is running it creates a second ip address for the ipmi both bring up the Asrock login screen. Just keeps telling me bad password. I put the same password into the freenas ipmi screen that my motherboard ipmi was set to before.

Any ideas what is happening? I just assumed freenas would bring my ipmi stuff into itself but now I cant touch it at all.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
When freenas is running it creates a second ip address for the ipmi...

FreeNAS does no such thing at all.

I just assumed freenas would bring my ipmi stuff into itself but now I cant touch it at all.

I'm not sure what "stuff" FreeNAS is supposed to "bring into it".

IPMI is literally a small linux computer inside the bigger computer. The IPMI grabs all sorts of data like voltages, fan speeds, etc and gives features like remote console redirection. The actual OS has no true control of IPMI at all, with the exception of one thing.

You can send commands to the IPMI controller to either query settings that the IPMI controller has, or set settings.

For example:

To request IPMI networking info you can run the command "ipmitool lan print 1".
To turn on IPMI's dhcp if it were off you'd run "ipmitool lan set 1 ipsrc dhcp".
If you wanted to reboot the IPMI device with a hard reset you'd run the command "ipmitool mc reset cold".

As for your problem, I have no clue what is going on. You are saying FreeNAS is creating a second IP for IPMI which is totally incorrect. Your statements are so non-sequitur that I can't make heads or tails of your problem, let alone provide a solution. Hopefully now that you understand IPMI a little better you can explain what you are actually seeing (or maybe understand the problem for yourself). ;)

Matdif

Explorer
My Asrock motherboard comes with IPMI. As in a webgui that allows control of various things such as power controls and installation of software remotely. It can be accessed through a dedicated ip address because it has its own Ethernet port separate from the motherboards normal pair. I had access to it until I imputed my motherboards ipmi login, password, and ip address into the freenas ipmi screen. Now I cannot get into it my login comes back wrong password/user. Secondly when I look at my network there is a second ip address that leads to a login screen that looks exactly like my first ipmi screen. So I now have two ip address both going to login screens for my motherboard ipmi that look exactly alike. Both screens give me bad user name/password when I try to login to them.

I assume freenas is some how blocking the way or has changed the password in some way. So I am going to try this tool that is suppose to allow me to change the password while the server is off and gain access that way.

Edit: Got the tool to reset the password from ASRock and that worked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.