LimeTech vs. FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltecBX

Patron
Is Limetech still an viable option for serving now a days? Any advantage to using this OS?
Why is Limetech charging for a certain amount of HD?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should be asking Limetech your questions. No clue for any of your questions. ;)

Mlovelace

Guru
It's very similar to how drobo handles parity; you can have dual parity disks and ssd cache acceleration.

Edit: the dive type mix doesn't matter as it doesn't stripe data. In fact you can mix drive sizes without loosing capacity of larger drives.

AltecBX

Patron
lol cyberjock, but your right. I'm asking here to see if people had experience with it.
I've done some research about it as I'm finalizing on my hardware for my server. I want to get all angles on OS and VM machine by the time I put everything together.

I've read about different size drive, is this something FreeNAS will implement in the future?
What I notice with LimeTech is that they utilize less memory per TB.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I wouldn't expect to be able to mix and match different size drives with ZFS *anytime* in the forseeable future, if ever. ZFS is for enterprises, and enterprises don't care a single bit about mixing and matching drives. They *want* all matching drives for simplicity.

mjws00

Guru
It's just a different animal, imho. The neat thing is if you have one drive fail you lose nothing. If you have multiple drives fail, you only lose what is on those failed devices. It's not striped so a URE can't kill your entire pool.

Unfortunately WAY overpriced for what it is, imho. I've never made it much past a quick eval for that fact. It seems like a nice toy for someone that wants more than no protection on a disposable media collection and doesn't want to learn anything too complicated. Also mostly suited to low performance uses. I can't imagine a business use when things like zfs exist, or even mdadm + lvm.

FlexRAID and snapRAID are a couple other homestyle tools to look at in the same vein. Seriously though, once you taste ZFS you won't want to leave. She might be a bit demanding, but hard to compare to anything else.

Mlovelace

Guru
unRAID is kinda cool to kick the tires so to say, but it didn't have the feature set I was looking for. For home media server I liked openmediavault's protocol support better and it uses MDADM-lvm.

If I didn't have the hardware to support a freeNAS server for home I'd go with OMV.

AltecBX

Patron
Openmediavault looks pretty nice. Reminds me a little of my Netgear ReadyNAS interface.

kciaccio

Cadet
I have been running UNRAID since 2010.

It has run rock solid.
I have not updated the latest versions because frankly up dating my older version to the newest version would be a two step process which scares the crap out of me.

I am not the most skilled in linux and last time I tried to update the version I screwed something up and my 22 terabyte server was down for a couple days which felt like eternity.

I am looking around on this site today because it almost 5 years since my UNRAID build and I am starting to build a replacement server..

I have had a drive fail and I have replaced drives just to make them bigger and they rebuild just fine with the one parity drive so people wondering if UNRAID is sketchy with only having one drive as parity I can vouch it works fine.

The reason why I might defect is performance. I am not sure if newer versions of UNRAID have gotten better but my new server I want to do NIC teamining for more bandwidth from and to the server because the transfer rates are so slow with UNRAID and I want to USE my server as a PLEX server too.

The other reason why I am looking at other choices for my build is a couple months ago I built a mini URAID server for my wife and when I hooked it up to my network I could not see my 22TB UNRAID server when the new little one went online.

Anyway, I digress. I guess I will be going through the forum and see if this is a better solution for me since I am also scared on migration issues of Having two UNRAID towers on the same network and I don't have the experience to start changing scripts on address override issues. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.