Like to dedicate a jail to an alert monitor tool, does such a thing exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Hi all,

Anyone know of any tools I can use which would say, email me if a machine stops responding to pings after 5 minutes? Something which checks, say every 60 seconds?
I'm sure a script could do it but I'm wondering if anything pre-built exists? So I could just make a jail, install a tool, configure it?

I figure the resource usage would be pretty low, anyone else got something like this?

diskdiddler

Wizard
Sorry to bump, I figure this is surely something most *nix / BSD types probably know how to do backwards and easily, curious if anyone else would be interested in such a thing?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Sorry to bump, I figure this is surely something most *nix / BSD types probably know how to do backwards and easily, curious if anyone else would be interested in such a thing?
i have used icinga, it's a fork of nagios. They're both complicated to setup but can definitely do the job you need.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Define complicated :(

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Define complicated :(
It took me a while to read the documentation to monitor what I wanted to monitor. Like 1-2 weeks to fine tune all my settings so that I get alerted of exactly what I care about (smart/zfs/ups/hdd space) for a few servers.
It might end up being a lot of learning curve for a simple task like you're doing.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Yeah, I mean all I want is an email / sms / (prob email) when a machine stops responding to ping after 5 to 10 minutes

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I mean all I want is an email / sms / (prob email) when a machine stops responding to ping after 5 to 10 minutes
icinga/nagios can definitely do that, but may be more trouble then they're worth in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.