libxml2-dev package in FREENAS jail

Dennis Lovelady

Dabbler
I have several programs that I'd like to compile to run within a FREENAS 11.3-U3 jail. One in particular that I'm working on, uses CURL and relies on the libxml2-dev package. When I try to compile that source, I get the error:

Code:
/usr/local/include/libxml2/libxml/xmlmemory.h:16:10: fatal error: libxml/xmlversion.h: No such file or directory

When I use sudo pkg install libxml2-dev, there is about a 3-minute delay, and then I get the message:

Code:
> sudo pkg install libxml2 libxml2-dev
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'libxml2-dev' have been found in the repositories

I've researched this somewhat, and in general it looks like people are interested in using this with Python. Such solutions won't solve this problem; these are C programs that rely on the libraries directly.

What is the recommended procedure for compiling programs that will run within Jails within a FREENAS / TRUENAS system? Should these be cross-compiled somehow (where can I find such instruction), or should we be able to develop within the JAIL itself (as I would prefer)?

If what I am trying to do is supported, please help me understand how to get around this libxml2 problem.

Note: When I try sudo pkg install libxml2 by itself, I receive:

Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
The most recent versions of packages are already installed

danb35

Hall of Famer
What is the recommended procedure for compiling programs that will run within Jails within a FREENAS / TRUENAS system?
AFAIK, you should be able to develop and compile within a jail the same as in any other FreeBSD system. But I'm afraid I don't have any input on libxml2-dev--a quick search doesn't find any package or port by that name.