Lenovo TS430(0441-14U)
CPU:Xeon E3-1230
MB:CPE-SX31200
RAM: 16GB ECC UDIMM
Bios: 2.70

The issue:
After installation, does not boot in FreeNAS

Verbal Diarrhea portion:
Going to try to be descriptive as I can, I apologize if I forget something.

Basically, I can install 9.3, 9.10 and the installation finishes, states it is successful but it never boots into FreeNas. I've tried using 3 different USB jump drives(8gb, 16gb, 32gb) and an SSD drive.

The devices will always show up in the boot list, but aside from a quick screen of a cursor, it will not boot from the device. The machine will boot other OSes, but doesn't seem to like this one. A quick search showed that someone was able to install 9.3 on this type of system. So I believe it's possible.

I was able to get it to boot from a 9.2.1 install, but if I'm understanding what I've read correctly, there's a change in the partition type and file system between 9.2(MBR/UFS) and 9.3/9.10(GPT/XFS). Is that correct? If that is correct, then I believe I may know what the issue, but this is my first dealing with FreeNAS and a FreeBSD based OS and I'm not afraid to admit that I'm out of my depth here.

What I think is going on, is that because it's using a GPT partition type, the machine is trying to boot it using UEFI instead of legacy. Does that sound right? If that is the cased, then I think I'm hosed because this type of BIOS does not have an option to force a legacy boot. It reads the drive and chooses the option based on if it's MBR or GPT. When looking at the boot order, the drive with the install always shows that's its going to use UEFI to boot it.

That's my best guess, but I'm going to defer to you folks in case I'm way off base here. If I'm way off base, I apologize for my verbal diarrhea. I've been at this for a few days now and it's become a challenge that I can't seem to give up on.

Thank you in advance and any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

D

dlavigne

What I think is going on, is that because it's using a GPT partition type, the machine is trying to boot it using UEFI instead of legacy. Does that sound right? If that is the cased, then I think I'm hosed because this type of BIOS does not have an option to force a legacy boot. It reads the drive and chooses the option based on if it's MBR or GPT. When looking at the boot order, the drive with the install always shows that's its going to use UEFI to boot it.

Correct. From http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas_intro.html#hardware-recommendations:

Note: FreeNAS® boots from a GPT partition. This means that the system BIOS must be able to boot using either the legacy BIOS firmware interface or EFI.

Status
Not open for further replies.