ldap + ssl + O=Samba Administration,OU=Samba - temporary autogenerated certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.

UdoB

Dabbler
Hello,

while I am a happy (home-) user, I do read these forums - mostly lurking. Today some threads made me experimenting with Ldap a little bit.

In my environment I can successfully use the following command on a Linux client (Ubuntu) to query data via Ldap from FreeNAS:

Code:
~$ ldapsearch -Hldap://fn.srv.lan  -x -D "u1@srv.lan" -b "dc=srv,dc=lan" -W -LLL "cn=u1" dn
Enter LDAP Password:
dn: CN=u1,CN=Users,DC=srv,DC=lan

That one is unencrypted, it uses the default port 389. To transfer the data encrypted I would like to switch to ssl on Port 636. But then I get into trouble:

Code:
~$ ldapsearch -Hldaps://fn.srv.lan:636  -x -D "u1@srv.lan" -b "dc=srv,dc=lan" -W -LLL "cn=u1" dn
Enter LDAP Password:
ldap_sasl_bind(SIMPLE): Can't contact LDAP server (-1)

(It is worth to mention that ssl does work when I disable verification by adding "TLS_REQCERT allow" into ldap.conf)

Trying to debug this led me to a tool named gnutls-cli to examine the used certificate (Output shortened):

Code:
~# gnutls-cli --print-cert -p 636 fn.srv.lan
Processed 173 CA certificate(s).
Resolving 'fn.srv.lan'...
Connecting to '10.1.110.11:636'...
- Certificate type: X.509
- Got a certificate list of 1 certificates.
- Certificate[0] info:
- subject `O=Samba Administration,OU=Samba - temporary autogenerated certificate,CN=FREENAS.srv.lan', issuer `O=Samba Administration,OU=Samba - temporary autogenerated certificate,CN=FREENAS.srv.lan', RSA key 1024 bits, signed using RSA-SHA1, activated `2014-12-07 13:57:55 UTC', expires `2016-11-06 13:57:55 UTC', SHA-1 fingerprint `f2cd43a0f27f7d4f3ffc8b840ebb342b0804d413'
   Public Key ID:
     7a5041089559e80a57455225b00d75ec8dd73584
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
MIICnzCCAgigAwIBAgIE41yEVDANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQUFADBvMR0wGwYDVQQKExRT
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

- Status: The certificate is NOT trusted. The certificate issuer is unknown. The name in the certificate does not match the expected.
*** PKI verification of server certificate failed...
*** Fatal error: Error in the certificate.
*** Handshake has failed
GnuTLS error: Error in the certificate. 

Perhaps I could copy this certificate into the file referenced in ldap.conf by TLS_CACERT. But actually... I do not want to do that. That cert is simply wrong - starting with CN=FREENAS instead of the correct "fn". Of course during installation time in 2014 it was probably correct.

While I do have populated the System --> CAs Facility and I use some certs for some other internal systems (like a second FreeNAS for replication) , I have no idea how to replace that "temporary autogenerated certificate" by a new one, signed by my "official" FreeNAS' CA.

On the other hand I am not sure if this expiration date has hard consequences for "CIFS" and "Domain Controller" Services in November :-/

Both configuration dialogs "Services --> CIFS Settings" + "Domain Controller Settings" do NOT offer the selection of a newly crafted certificate.

So this boils down to: What am I missing?

For the record, my system is:
  • FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201605021851
  • HP ML310 from 2014, Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220, 16 GiB ECC
  • Mirror of 2 * WD Red 3 TB + Mirror of 2 WD Red 4 TB
Best regards from Germany

UdoB

Dabbler
No, not yet. I will dig into it again during the weekend...

Meanwhile I've found the relevant files. Probably no surprise:

Code:
[root@fn] ~# ls -l /var/db/system/samba4/private/tls

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  969 Dec  7  2014 ca.pem
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  969 Dec  7  2014 cert.pem
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  887 Dec  7  2014 key.pem

The next logical step is to create a new certificate from FreeNAS' CA and put it here. Sounds easy enough.

Unfortunately this my productive system and I can only do that if I am sure that manipulating those files will not have bad side effects - like losing Domain Members.

(I am burned by "unexpected things" happening when I did some nominal small modifications in the past. I learned not to do experiments with my main system, even though I do have backups of config+data in several incarnations.)

So I need to set up a test-system to clarify this. To be useful I need to configure a Domain and additionally create a client to join the Domain. This needs some time during some weekends...

Status
Not open for further replies.