Launch docker image error

haifisch

Dabbler
Hello, I am trying to use the launch docker image feature in Truenas. First I am trying to run the hello-world with all default settings only defining the repository as a test but I am running into the below error. What am I missing? Is there something that needs to be configured besides defaults so that this feature works at all? There are no logs from the container so I am out of ideas. Any help would be much apprechiated.

1689160554909.png

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The hello-world container is designed to run, display "hello world" and exit... Kubernetes is designed to run containers continuously and ensure they stay running...

Can you see the problem with your choice of container?

haifisch

Dabbler
The hello-world container is designed to run, display "hello world" and exit... Kubernetes is designed to run containers continuously and ensure they stay running...

Can you see the problem with your choice of container?
The button literally says launch docker image. So I expect a container to be launched. In this case I wanted to see the output "hello world" and then the container stopping. Its not a failed container in my opinion. Do you have a suggestion on what image to test this feature with?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
In this case I wanted to see the output "hello world" and then the container stopping.
Where did you expect to see that happen? The TrueNAS interface doesn't really have an option to display the "output" in any meaningful way other than logs and expects the container not to stop under "normal circumstances".

Anyway, the principle here is "long-running" container images, so the right thing to be trying is any of the many thousands of those available.

if you can't think of one, try nginx. Make sure to specify a port forward for 80 in the container to something like 9080, then visit http://truenas.IP:9080/ once the container is running to "test" it.

haifisch

Dabbler
Where did you expect to see that happen? The TrueNAS interface doesn't really have an option to display the "output" in any meaningful way other than logs and expects the container not to stop under "normal circumstances".

Anyway, the principle here is "long-running" container images, so the right thing to be trying is any of the many thousands of those available.

if you can't think of one, try nginx. Make sure to specify a port forward for 80 in the container to something like 9080, then visit http://truenas.IP:9080/ once the container is running to "test" it.
My point was that someone like me with some experience with docker but none with kubernetes would think "launch docker image" would literally launch a container with an image that one can can specify. Also there was no output from the hello world container in logs as I said.

Anyway, I learned something today so thats great and thank you for the help. Nginx worked flawlessly other than me using 10080 first and having to figure out why my browser wasnt happy about it haha. Another thing learned.

sretalla