Latest update for 9.10 won't boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalon60

Guru
After getting my FreeNAS 9.10 system running fine again, I updated it by means of the FreeNAS gui. All the files installed and FreeNAS went into a reboot until it stopped part way through. See pic.
I don't know what heppened there as FreeNAS booted ok before.

I have installed this version onto a SSD drive and it boots fine: FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606270534 (dd17351)
Actually I think that the date on this version is the same as the update file I downloaded, but could be wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_20160713_090813.jpg
    IMG_20160713_090813.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 227

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Just to be sure, according to this thread you got everything up and running yesterday correct? Then you applied an update via the Web GUI and now have an issue with it booting?

If so, when you see the grub menu at boot-up are you able to select the previous version and boot fine?

Also, do you have a backup of the Configuration file? Always a good idea to do so before applying an update...

avalon60

Guru
Yes I did get everything running correctly with FreeNAS yesterday and agin earlier this morning. And yes I could see the previous boot environment which I used to boot FreeNAS from. Oh yes I did make a backup of the config file yesterday as well.
FreeNAS is running fine now from a new install on a SSD drive, which is what I really wanted.

I do seem to be having a problem with updates just lately, and I don't know why, well apart from one yesterday which pointed to the usb drive being defective, and when I tested it with a flash drive tester program, it was defective as it threw up loads of read and write errors.
I'll just have to be more prepared next time I choose to update FreeNAS.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Yeah, personally I don't update that often. Only if there is some significant reason (Security, Certain Issue Addressed that I need, etc.). However, I normally do some "sanity" testing on a VM first just to be sure. There are quite a few contributors here that are still running 9.3. ;)

D

dlavigne

I have installed this version onto a SSD drive and it boots fine: FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606270534 (dd17351)
Actually I think that the date on this version is the same as the update file I downloaded, but could be wrong.

Just to be clear, you verified that installation on the same boot device you upgraded to (the one that is failing to boot), or to a different one as a test?

avalon60

Guru
I updated to the latest current update onto the same usb drive as the initial installation, which did fail to boot. I did not verify the installation, so maybe/definitly should have done.

I've just added a couple of ok usb drives to the NAS box, 1 insid and 1 on the rear of the case, just incase anything goes wrong.
The 2 usb drives passed a flash drive tester without errors so that's why they are ok to use.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Weird. At least you are on the latest and it is now booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.