Jail bridge address

Status
Not open for further replies.

stranger

Dabbler
The docs are rather unclear to me. When creating a standard jail with VIMAGE networking the value of:
IPv4 bridge address

doesn't seem to do anything. What is the purpose of this field? What is the intended behaviour?

I've mentioned this before but I think it was lost in a sea of text. I think this is a part of the docs that could be improved.

Thanks

D

dlavigne

The docs currently point to this note, which bit is unclear?

Note: the IPv4 and IPv6 bridge interface is used to bridge the epair(4) device, which is automatically created for each started jail, to a physical network device. The default network device is the one that is configured with a default gateway. So, if em0 is the FreeBSD name of the physical interface and three jails are running, the following virtual interfaces will be automatically created: bridge0, epair0a, epair1a, and epair2a. The physical interface em0 will be added to the bridge, as well as each epair device. The other half of the epair will be placed inside the jail and will be assigned the IP address specified for that jail. The bridge interface will be assigned an alias of the default gateway for that jail, if configured, or the bridge IP, if configured; either is correct.

stranger

Dabbler
So if I assign an IP value (in the same subnet as the Jail IP) to the bridge IP and then create the Jail, then NOTHING happens. There are other jails previously configured. The bridge doesn't have any IP assigned to it, neither does the physical interface (igb2 in this case).

So I guess there is a bug here or the docs are wrong...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
D

dlavigne

Sounds like a bug if nothing is happening... That NOTE I pasted were straight out of the dev's mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.