Jail and storage advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbsnow

Cadet
I am somewhat new to FreeNAS, getting my feet wet, trying things out, and seeing if this system is right for our environment.

Our current storage server is running FreeBSD 9 with ZFS on geli-encrypted drives for storage. We run some scripts on the box to periodically go fetch new files from several servers, and also daily to back up all our servers. I am fond of pulling data this way versus the servers pushing data into the box, due to the lower exposure this gives the backup server from the outside world.

I am setting up something similar to this under FreeNAS, in the hope that we can replace the FreeBSD box with FreeNAS. As I understand it, I need to create at least one jail to house and run our backup scripts.

Where I am starting to question if moving to FreeNAS is appropriate for us is in how jails access storage outside the jailed filesystem. Since we have at least a dozen different datasets for the various backups, these will need to be added individually to the jail. I assume this is technically possible, but at this point I wonder if it is wise to do this. Is there a performance penalty for accessing the dataset through the jail storage system this way? Are there risks to having so many datasets mounted inside the jail?

And more importantly, am I going about this the wrong way? Can I do the same thing without jails?

Thanks for your input and advice.

Whattteva

Wizard
I don't see any reason why you can't do all that without the jails.
The host system supports cron jobs, rsync, and SSH after all.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If your scripts are self-contained and/or have dependencies that the FreeNAS host has you should be able to run it on the base OS. I have a folder of scripts that do simple things for me and I store it on the pool. You can definitely go that route. Just bear in mind if you are needing to customize .conf files or things like that on FreeNAS you are definitely in the "should run this in a jail" situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.