SOLVED Issues with pkg architecture

chravis

Contributor
I am hoping that someone can explain to me what is going on with this error. When I search for similar issues, I find a good many relating to FreeNAS 9 but nothing related to TrueNAS 12.
I think in general I'm confused about OS versions and plugin releases (and how they are or are not related or affect each other - if that is even related to my problem).

When I go to the TrueNAS dashboard, it says my version is TrueNAS-12.0-U4.
When I look at the MineOS plugin, it says RELEASE: 12.1-RELEASE-p12.

Specifically for MineOS, I wanted to try to update the java version so that I can upgrade to the latest minecraft jar. However, I get the following issues:

Code:
root@mineos:~ # pkg install openjdk16
Updating iocage-plugins repository catalogue...
iocage-plugins repository is up to date.
Updating plugin-default repository catalogue...
[mineos] Fetching meta.conf: 100%    163 B   0.2kB/s    00:01
[mineos] Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%    6 MiB   3.1MB/s    00:02
Processing entries:   0%
pkg: wrong architecture: FreeBSD:11:* instead of FreeBSD:12:amd64
pkg: repository plugin-default contains packages with wrong ABI: FreeBSD:11:*
Processing entries: 100%
Unable to update repository plugin-default
Error updating repositories!

I think this is telling me that somewhere I've got FreeBSD:11 but I need FreeBSD:12:amd64. I just don't know up from down when it comes to this.
I really appreciate anyone's insights.

hertzsae

Contributor
In my understanding, the point of the plugins is to not have to manage the internals. Have you tried upgrading the plugin through the GUI?

I only have jails that I built. If it were a jail, I would
  1. Take snapshots of everything
  2. List your jails
    Code:
    iocage list -l
  3. Update the jail
    Code:
    iocage update jailname
  4. Update your packages
    Code:
    iocage pkg jailname upgrade -y
  5. Try to install the new java again
I have no idea what the consequences would be doing that on a plugin that was pre-built.
You could also check if you're pointed at a weird repo
Code:
iocage exec jailname cat /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

chravis

Contributor
@hertzsae thanks for the reply. I did try updating the plugin through the gui and it did a bunch of stuff, I saw some errors flash by, and then it ended with this error:

plugin_update_error.PNG

I also looked at the FreeBSD.conf file and all that it has in it is:

FreeBSD: {enabled: no}

So then I tried executing iocage update mineos (and also iocage upgrade mineos - not sure of the difference - I get the same result), and I ended up with the same error as in the image above, but at least this time I could see the stacktrace. Unfortunately it looks like problems with python so I don't know what's up with all that or why the python would be hosed.

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/iocage", line 10, in <module>
    sys.exit(cli())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/click/core.py", line 764, in __call__
    return self.main(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/click/core.py", line 717, in main
    rv = self.invoke(ctx)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/click/core.py", line 1137, in invoke
    return _process_result(sub_ctx.command.invoke(sub_ctx))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/click/core.py", line 956, in invoke
    return ctx.invoke(self.callback, **ctx.params)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/click/core.py", line 555, in invoke
    return callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/iocage_cli/update.py", line 45, in cli
    ioc.IOCage(jail=jail, skip_jails=skip_jails).update(pkgs=pkgs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/iocage_lib/iocage.py", line 1957, in update
    ioc_plugin.IOCPlugin(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_plugin.py", line 1079, in update
    return self.update_impl(jid)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_plugin.py", line 1140, in update_impl
    self.__update_pkg_install__(plugin_conf)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_plugin.py", line 1260, in __update_pkg_install__
    self.__fetch_plugin_install_packages__(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_plugin.py", line 718, in __fetch_plugin_install_packages__
    err = iocage_lib.ioc_create.IOCCreate(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_create.py", line 922, in create_install_packages
    "message": e.message.decode().rstrip()
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'decode'

At this point I'm wondering if I should just delete the plugin and start over.

12.1-RELEASE has reached End-Of-Life, you need to "upgrade" your jail to 12.2-RELEASE, as opposed to just "update".
There are several posts in this forum detailing how to do this, but the gist of it is that you would execute iocage upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE <your jailname> from the command line.

That's what I would do; just install another brand new instance of the MineOS plugin, and migrate your Minecraft server data from the old jail to the new jail. You can take the opportunity to move your server data outside your jail, as per this post.

ThreeDee

Guru
yes and no .. delete the plugin jail and setup a new jail ... then do a manual install instead of using a plugin

chravis

Contributor
Thanks everyone. I am back up and running. I already had my game data mounted to a dataset, so I just deleted the plugin, reinstalled the plugin, and remounted my data manually. Before starting things up I was able to upgrade the java version without error.
All is well in Minecraft world today. I appreciate everyone's help.