SOLVED Issues with new TrueNAS Scale install

Inxsible

Guru
Hello,

I have TN Core installed that I have been using from many many years. I had set up ZFS replication on a Proxmox ZFS RAIDZ2 array as target. I exported the pool in the Proxmox server and then installed Scale on a different server and I imported the ZFS replication target as the pool so that I don't have to copy all the data from my CORE install. The import was successful, but the file system is read-only. I cannot change ownership of any directories or create new ones.

Researching this, I found this thread that indicates how to change it to RW : https://www.truenas.com/community/t...-and-making-the-destination-read-write.10551/

But I used the recommended install of only Admin account. So when I try to run the zfs command in the shell, it says command not found. How would I turn off the readonly flag on the pool and how would I assume root powers in the Shell if the root user password is disabled?

Thanks,

Last edited:

chuck32

Guru

Inxsible

Guru
:)

No somehow the paths not set up correctly as it cannot find zfs command. I was also wondering how to get root powers using
Code:
su -

chuck32

Guru
I was wondering as your saw your post count after replying ;)

However command not found is the typical greeting when lacking elevated privileges that's why I didn't edit / delete my post.

Code:
admin@truenas[~]$ zfs list -t snapshot neptune/test-dataset
zsh: command not found: zfs
admin@truenas[~]$ sudo zfs list -t snapshot neptune/test-dataset
[sudo] password for admin:
NAME                                         USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
neptune/test-dataset@auto-2024-03-03_19-25   144K      -  12.9M  -
neptune/test-dataset@auto-2024-03-03_19-30   144K      -  13.1M  -
neptune/test-dataset@auto-2024-03-03_19-35   112K      -  33.5M  -
neptune/test-dataset@manual2                 112K      -   954M  -
neptune/test-dataset@auto-2024-03-03_21-22     0B      -  1.02G  -

You could also just enable the root password temporarily or (that's what I did but I barely ever need it) authenticate via ssh keys and open a ssh session as root.

If the paths are truly not setup correctly than that's above my paygrade though.

Inxsible

Guru
yeah... I was thinking of enabling root password temporarily...but just wanted to make sure, because the whole Admin account thing is new in Scale and I was just wondering if I was missing something obvious.

My system is so new, that I think I am better off just re-installing and then trying to import the pool again... or simply recreating a new pool and copying over the data from my TN Core install. The TN Core will then become a backup NAS.

thanks for your help though.

chuck32

Guru
Just to make sure, logging in as admin, using sudo zfs with your admin account password does not work on a fresh install? Did you by any chance mess around under credentials -> local users -> admin?
1709589344607.png

If everything is set up correctly and zfs cannot be found I'd also reinstall, doesn't seem right.

Inxsible

Guru
Reinstalled, re-imported the pool and all is well now. admin account can access zfs commands using sudo.

I must have dropped the ball somewhere during the previous install.

nabsltd

Contributor
No somehow the paths not set up correctly as it cannot find zfs command. I was also wondering how to get root powers using
Code:
su -
If you need to do a lot of things as root in a row, you can use:
Code:
sudo su -