Issues after replacing a bad drive (FreeNAS 8.0.2-RELEASE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

warri

Guru
Hi all!

Some days ago my NAS fell down about 50 cm to the floor (due to a not properly mounted wall board - stupid thing) while I was accessing data on it.
Luckily just one HDD died completely (click of death) and I had some spare drives left. I tried replacing the hard disk via the GUI first, but that yielded in some big error about a String which couldn't be parsed correctly.
So I went on to the CLI and followed the inofficial FAQ and the official FAQ.

First I removed the bad drive, put in the replacement at the same sata port, and began the resilvering process. It completed successfully after ~15 hours.
Now my pool status is HEALTHY again, but there are some read errors on two other drives:
Code:
  pool: tank1
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
	attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
	using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
 scrub: resilver completed after 15h50m with 0 errors on Sat Dec 17 04:09:18 2011
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	tank1                                           ONLINE       8     0     0
	  raidz1                                        ONLINE       8     0     0
	    gptid/9c4114e4-9143-11e0-820f-485d6094a16a  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    gptid/9cf38c6a-9143-11e0-820f-485d6094a16a  ONLINE       4     0     0
	    ada2                                        ONLINE       0     0     0  1.17T resilvered
	    gptid/9e389f0f-9143-11e0-820f-485d6094a16a  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    gptid/9efe636a-9143-11e0-820f-485d6094a16a  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    gptid/9fc77be7-9143-11e0-820f-485d6094a16a  ONLINE       4     0     0

errors: No known data errors

I'm getting following smart errors:
Code:
Dec 17 10:41:28 freenas smartd[3181]: Device: /dev/ada1, 5 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
Dec 17 10:41:29 freenas smartd[3181]: Device: /dev/ada6, 4 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

So probably those drives also are slightly damaged (they correspond to the 2 drives with read errors from the zpool report). Can't the drives just flag those sectors as damaged and ignore them in future? Or do I need to replace them as well? Should I just clear the errors and scrub again?

Also the name of the new drive is ada2 instead of the unique ID (probably because I typed zpool replace tank1 <oldid> ada2 for the resilvering to start). In the GUI it say {serial}... instead of {uuid}.., see attached screenshot.
freenas-smart-id.jpg

So the two main quesions which bug me:
  • What to do about the id of the new drive?
  • Do I need to replace the other two disks as well?

Thanks for your help in advance! The FAQ's and other threads already helped a lot :)

[edit]
After looking around in the bug reports, I found this ticket: https://support.freenas.org/ticket/744
It addresses the ID issue, and according to the ticket it just seems to be a cosmetic issue.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad to see you were able to replace the drive without any real problem.

warri

Guru
I'm very glad, too :)

Nobody has a recommendation about the bad sectors?
I'll probably try to run the WD Diagnostic Tools if there is no easy way to flag those sectory from within FreeBSD/FreeNAS. So far I had no other problems with the sectors, but if data gets written on them ZFS probably has to do error correction all the time (not sure if that's a big issue, though?) - so better to flag them as defect.

Just want to avoid the downtime and effort for another two resilvering processes if possible ;)

joeschmuck

Old Man
In the old days you could mark sectors using the manufacturer tools or through your own coding, I would think using the WD tool you have indicated, Extended Test would give the results you desire. I would also generate a report because too many sector errors in a general location is a sure indication that trouble is right down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.