iscsi configuration recommandation

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to build a reliable and performant NAS server for vm storage (mostly linux servers but also some Windows servers running on oVirt).

We'll probably be running 20-30 vms on each of our Freenas box wich have the follwing specs :

HP Proliant (Xeon E5-2670 CPU), 64 GB RAM, 2x10 GB nics, 2 x 300 GB RAID1 drives for the freenas OS, 6 x 1.2 TB 10k RPM SAS drives for the storage of the vm

Here's what we think would be a good config (with freenas 9.10):

- Use iScsi (seems like the way to go instead of NFS)
- Use multipath
- Use MTU of 9000
- Use a RAID 10 like config (3 raid 1 vols. in stripes) so we are left with 3.6 TB of usable disk space

My questions are :

1- Should sync writes be activated for iScsi? If so, should we have ZIL logs on some additional SSD drives? Any recommandation for size or partition size of the SSD?
2- When we create a zvol, we get an error if we try to assign more than 80% of the available space. I also read that when using iScsi we should not go over 50% of disk space : I'm totally confused here. Does this mean that with my 6 drives, I'll be left with only 1.8 TB of storage?
3- Any other advices to improve this configuration?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Were you able to find the answers to your questions?

You'd hope so, with me going on at length to the answers to all those questions on nearly a daily basis, or better yet, in stickies.

Status
Not open for further replies.