Is it worth it to convert my old pc? Specs and needs listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diz

Cadet
Here is my old pc and its current specs:

VAIO VGC-RB53
Pentium 4 630(3.0GHz)
512MB DDR 200GB HDD Capacity
Intel GMA 900

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102324

I don't mind spending $40-50 to upgrade the RAM to 2 gigs or $20 to upgrade the network card to gigabit, if needed (or compatible.) Besides 3-3TB HDDs, I don't want to upgrade beyond that.

At a minimum, I want to be able to stream 1080p and lossless audio from ripped blu-rays and access photos and music. 99% of the time there will only be one user at a time. Highest strain may be 2 users streaming hd content. I want to be able to do this without any stuttering of video or audio. I understand I won't be able to enjoy all FreeNAS offers with these specs, but if I could meet my requirements listed, I'll probably go for it.

I've found bits and pieces to my question, but not a full picture specific to what I have. I'll be more than happy to dig in and read my posterior off to learn the rest on my own, if it is worth it to use it. I think it would be a fun project and I'd feel good about recycling the old pc. If this path is fraught with problems, I'll probably just go with a simpler, off the shelf NAS.

Is it worth it? Or will it be too slow? Thanks in advance. I know these questions are annoying. I bow to your experience and knowledge.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you plan to go with ZFS you need 6GB of RAM minimum for system stability as well as performance.

diz

Cadet
If you plan to go with ZFS you need 6GB of RAM minimum for system stability as well as performance.

Thanks. 2gigs is the maximum upgrade for this pc. I assumed I would have to forgo ZFS. Can I get what I need with UFS?

diz

Cadet
In all the reading I've done, I only see what the minimum stability requirements are with ZFS. I have not seen what the minimum stability requirements are to do what I want with UFS. I apologize. I've done several searches and put a couple hours into reading before asking. I just didn't want to commit a huge sum of time to find the answer to that one question. What can I expect from 2 gigs of RAM while streaming media? A big headache of stuttering? Or will it work?

This is the closest thread I could find. http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...-hardware-help-please!&highlight=gigs+RAM+UFS

But again, the answer it provides is 8 TB for 4 gis of RAM with UFS. Can I assume 4 TB with 2 gigs of RAM?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
UFS isn't very RAM intensive. I'd think that 2GB would be fine. I know one of the more senior posters has only 1GB with UFS and he hasn't had any problems that I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.