IOPs calculation using data sent to Graphite in Grafana

Status
Not open for further replies.

eroji

Contributor
I am sending my FreeNAS 11 RC1 stats to a Graphite server and displaying in a panel in Grafana. However, my IOPs calculation seems off. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this.

What I did for the Graphite query is below. I configured the panel to show the value as an average, so that if I select a time range to graph, it should average the sum per the period of time. When I ran a series of DiskMark test, it showed Write IOPs upwards of 3k, which I believe is impossible. What am I doing wrong?

Read:
sumSeries(servers.$hostname.disk-da0.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da1.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da2.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da3.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da4.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da5.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da6.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da7.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da8.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da9.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da10.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da11.disk_ops.read)

Write:
sumSeries(servers.$hostname.disk-da0.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da1.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da2.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da3.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da4.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da5.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da6.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da7.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da8.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da9.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da10.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da11.disk_ops.write)

eroji

Contributor
Anyone? I am taking the sum of reads/writes IOs according to data graphite gets and averaging it over the period of time displayed in Grafana. The number seems to be correct, and I did validate it in Graphite or what it received from FreeNAS, but realistically, how can 12 stripe+mirror disks produce 3k write IOPs? This is what Graphite shows when I run the same query.

Attachments

• graphite.jpg
    graphite.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
D

dlavigne

If you don't get an answer, it might be worth creating a bug at bugs.freenas.org so a dev can take a closer look at it. If you do, include a debug (from System -> Advanced -> Save Debug) and post the issue number here. Note that the bug will be marked as private until the dev has a chance to review the debug.

eroji

Contributor
Thank you. I will give it a try. I did not want to create a ticket before I asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.