Invisible directory when using SMB3

Status
Not open for further replies.

f4242

Explorer
Hello,

I'm trying to mount a SMB share on my Proxmox VE (PVE) cluster. PVE use SMB3 (it's using the option vers=3.0 of mount.cifs). I reproduced the problem on my Ubuntu 16.04 machine, so this is not a PVE issue.

Problem is I don't see all directories created on my share when using SMB3. If I only have one directory named "dump" on the top level of my share and I "ls" my share, I just see an empty share (but I can "cd" into the invisible directory...). If I create a second directory named "dump1", I can now see the "dump" directory (but I don't see "dump1").

On my Ubuntu PC, if I drop the "vers=3.0" option when I mount my share, the problem doesn't occurs at all. According to /proc/mounts, default value of the vers option is "1.0".

No problem when I mount the share with a Windows 10 client (but not sure if it is using SMB3).

The dataset is using the Windows permissions.

Any idea what's wrong?

EDIT: the bug also occurs when using vers=2.1

Last edited:

IceBoosteR

Guru
Hi,
I may think about permission issues. Is the share readable for all? Who is the file and share owner. I had some weird experiences with SMB, good and bad, and mostly the bad are due to permission issues.
Screenshots may help us to solve you issue.

f4242

Explorer
I don't think this is permission issue, because it works on SMB1 and fails with SMB 2.1/3.0. It also works from a Windows 10 client.

I replaced SMB with NFS instead. I had issues with SMB mount, Proxmox were reporting that the share was offline. I'm not a fan of NFS, but it now works great with NFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.