Intel X540 Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlnoiku

Dabbler
Running on 9.2.1.7.

Supermicro X9SRH-7TF with onboard 10gbe Intel X540 Nics.

Ruled out switch/cable issues. The interface is showing up as igb0 at 1gbe. I dont see anywhere to change this setting. Even in Nas4Free the maximum it would allow me to set was 1gbe.

I browsed through the forums, and it seems like some folks have had success with getting this working. However I read forums like the one linked below and it looks like it's not supported and will be due in 9.3. Anyone confirm?

http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/is-intel-x540-t2-supported.19867/#post-111893

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Most 10Gb NICs seem to currently suffer from weird bugs that have since been tracked down.

The fix for the Intel X540 is scheduled for FreeNAS 9.3, but can be hacked into 9.2.1.7.
Some workarounds are listed here:
https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4560

hlnoiku

Dabbler
thanks ericloewe!

If I'm reading that correctly, it seems they're able to get the 10gbe speeds initially and are seeing the errors on large loads over the connection.

I cant even get a 10gb connection established to begin with.

jamiejunk

Contributor
We have some of these cards. They didn't work well with Freenas. Like the connection eventually died. Not cool. We bought some of those chernobyl cards or whatever they are called. Those seem to be ok

D

dlavigne

Hmmm, according to the 9.2 man page, "If mediaopt is not specified, the driver defaults to half-duplex". Does adding mediaopt full-duplex to the "Options" field of Network -> Interfaces switch it over?

vikingboy

Explorer
the x520 is now working fine under 9.2.17 for me, I'm seeing 9.91gbps over iperf and 400MB/s+ which is the limit of my array with real data.
I'm not an expert but I do know there were some fixes applied in 9.2.1.7 that helped with 10gbe.
Ive assumed that the x520 and x540 are similar designs with different connectors which could be foolish but they both use the same driver I understand hence my conclusion jumping

Status
Not open for further replies.