Intel DH67BL

Status
Not open for further replies.

laacid

Cadet
Hi, I've read the hardware req's and suggested hardware. I am just looking for opinions for some hardware I have around. I know this is not optimal but does anyone have any idea what rate of failure I am looking at?

I just what to use this for home and some music, docs, videos, etc. I was thinking of using the set of 2TB as a backup to the set of 3TB- have some type of compressed backup of the data on the 3TB to the 2TB as a backup. Better to just dump these drives in a QNAP?

I have the following:

Intel DH67BL motherboard
Pentium G860 dual core processor
4GB ADATA DDR3 XPG ram model ax3u1600c4g9-rr
8GB Kingston DDR3 ram model khx1600c10d381/8g
LSI SAS9211-8i with firware 20.00.07.00 in IT mode
3- 3TB Western Digital Red NAS drives
3- 2TB Western Digital Red NAS drives

Thanks in advance for any opininos and/or help

Jeff

Last edited:

Inxsible

Guru
I will state the obvious that the board and CPU do not support ECC RAM and most users here will recommend you using proper server grade hardware that supports ECC RAM.

It will work fine without ECC too, but having ECC gives you that extra peace of mind.

Having a backup pool in the same box does not make sense to me. If a power spike were to hit your machine, there's no guarantee your backup would be safe. It's best to have offsite backup..but if not, at least another machine (either another FreeNAS or QNAP or even a basic linux box so you can rsync) should suffice.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It's less than ideal, but it's better than nothing.
If you put all 6 drives in a RAID-z2 pool, you will have between 7TB and 8TB of space for data with protection against 2 drive failures.
That's the way I would go for now and start working on getting a backup server.
My backup server is in the same building with the primary because I don't have the money to pay for off-site.
Everything is backed up on the other server to safeguard against the hardware failure that would keep me from my data.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

laacid

Cadet
I will state the obvious that the board and CPU do not support ECC RAM and most users here will recommend you using proper server grade hardware that supports ECC RAM.

It will work fine without ECC too, but having ECC gives you that extra peace of mind.

Having a backup pool in the same box does not make sense to me. If a power spike were to hit your machine, there's no guarantee your backup would be safe. It's best to have offsite backup..but if not, at least another machine (either another FreeNAS or QNAP or even a basic linux box so you can rsync) should suffice.

Thanks. I use rsync to my fedora workstation as the backup.

laacid

Cadet
It's less than ideal, but it's better than nothing.
If you put all 6 drives in a RAID-z2 pool, you will have between 7TB and 8TB of space for data with protection against 2 drive failures.
That's the way I would go for now and start working on getting a backup server.
My backup server is in the same building with the primary because I don't have the money to pay for off-site.
Everything is backed up on the other server to safeguard against the hardware failure that would keep me from my data.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'll pool all the drives as you suggested and rsync another copy to my workstation as a backup.

I appreciate the help.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thanks. I'll pool all the drives as you suggested and rsync another copy to my workstation as a backup.

I appreciate the help.
If you decide to build a better server later, you might want to look at the hardware suggestions here:

FreeNAS® Quick Hardware Guide
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas®-quick-hardware-guide.7/

Hardware Recommendations Guide Rev 1e) 2017-05-06
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

These guides are mostly about the more recent hardware but you can build a perfectly reliable system with 3 or 4 year old used hardware. It is best to go with surplus server gear if you can find the right parts for a good price. If you have questions, please ask, there are plenty of people on the forum that would be happy to help you out.

laacid

Cadet
If you decide to build a better server later, you might want to look at the hardware suggestions here:

FreeNAS® Quick Hardware Guide
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas®-quick-hardware-guide.7/

Hardware Recommendations Guide Rev 1e) 2017-05-06
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

These guides are mostly about the more recent hardware but you can build a perfectly reliable system with 3 or 4 year old used hardware. It is best to go with surplus server gear if you can find the right parts for a good price. If you have questions, please ask, there are plenty of people on the forum that would be happy to help you out.

Thats the plan. I just had this hardware and didnt want to recycle it if I could use it.

Besides the Freenas documentation, do you have any recommendations for setup guides? Also, any recommendations on how to test your build stability after you've set it up?

Thanks again
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.