SOLVED Installation stops after creating partitions on USB then reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spec

Dabbler
System config:
Supermicro X10SL7-F
Xeon E3-1271v3
32GB ECC (4x Crucial 8GB ECC Unbuffer 1600MHz) (Supermicro reports as 18KSF1G72AZ-1G6E1)
Seasonic S12G-450 450W
2x Corsair Flash Vega 32GB (system OS, mirrored)
2x Samsung F3 1TB ZFS STRIPE (encrypted, torrents)
6x WD Red 6TB RAIDZ2 (encrypted, plex / homes)
1x Intel 80gb SSD (encrypted, jails)

I had my system running for about a month, until I noticed some of the jails werent responding, I rebooted to discover 1 of the usb's appeared dead while the other had partial corruption.
I managed to recover /data/freenas-v1.db in Single user mode (I hadnt yet taken a backup as I was still fiddling with the jails) and brought the USB's to life on my windows PC by cleaning the partition information, formatting and doing few read/write tests. I have the encryption/restore keys backed up.

I initially tried to do a clean install onto a new USB, Sandisk Extreme 64GB, but the installer wouldn't finish.
At the point of creating the partitions (da6p1 da6p2 in this case), it would stop, I could still type at the prompt which did nothing, then the system would reboot after 30-60 seconds.

I tried with the cleaned Corsair USB's in a mirror and I still get the same problem - after the installer creates da6p1 da6p2 and da7p1 da7p2 it appears to stop and the system reboots after a period of time.

Any idea what could be causing this?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Spec

Dabbler
Yep - originally used it to install the first time around:
FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606072003.iso - sha256 checks out
I also tried with the newer FreeNAS-9.10.1.iso - sha256 also checks out - produces the same problem (halting after partition creation)

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Do you have another device you can use as a boot device as a sanity check, e.g. an old laptop drive or SSD? Maybe there's an underlying issue with USB devices on your system.

Spec

Dabbler
Just put another Intel 80gb SSD in, same problem, stops after creating the partitions.
Going to try removing every disk and see if it will continue.

EDIT: still same problem, no other drive connected, only 1x Intel SSD. Will try installing from USB (was doing it via Supermicro remote management ISO mount)

EDIT2: Its worked!
Seems using the Supermicro remote management ISO mount wasn't working.
Im damn sure the exact same ISO worked using this method before so dont know whats happened to it in the last month.
Booted via the SSD into freenas - just need to restore the freenas-v1.db.

Last edited:

Spec

Dabbler
Copied the freenas-v1.db across and rebooted.
Restored the encrypted volumes with recovery geli key.
All seems to be working, but seem to have lost my CIFS shares and my jail storage mounts

Question about the encryption - I used the recovery keys from my previous installation, does this mean I can keep the original encryption, recovery keys + passphrase?
Or do I need to download fresh ones?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.